Vegetable Stew recipe with step-by-step images. This veg stew is simple to make, calmly spiced, delicate and aromatic stew made with a bevy of blended greens, creamy coconut milk and fragrant spices. A well-liked stew recipe from the Kerala delicacies appropriate for each vegetarians and vegans alike.
About Veg Stew Recipe
On some days after I don’t make dosa, I find yourself making our favourite breakfast appam and Kerala type vegetable stew.
Normally I at all times have carrots, beans, potatoes and peas at residence. So these veggies find yourself being within the veg stew. When I’ve to make the stew, I put together coconut milk a day earlier than and preserve within the fridge.
Generally to make issues straightforward, I exploit canned coconut milk which is well stocked in shops. Canned coconut milk works effectively as an alternative choice to selfmade coconut milk. You need to use your most popular model of coconut milk as an alternative choice to selfmade coconut milk.
Kerala vegetable stew is really easy to organize. You simply must mood and prepare dinner the veggies. If you happen to can not have it with appams, then simply serve the stew with steamed rice.
I’ve used skinny coconut milk to prepare dinner the greens. If you happen to don’t have skinny coconut milk, then prepare dinner the greens in water as a substitute. You can even test this Potato Stew.
The veg stew is flavored with heat fragrant spices tempered in coconut oil. What you get are tender cooked greens in a fragile, spiced, gentle, aromatic stew with the flavour and style of the coconut milk.
The right way to make Vegetable Stew
1. Warmth coconut oil. Add the entire & crushed spices – cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and black pepper. Fry them until aromatic on low warmth.
Then add the ginger, garlic, inexperienced chilies, sliced onions and curry leaves. Sauté until the onions develop into translucent on low to medium-low warmth. Don’t brown the onions.
As an alternative of onions you need to use shallots or pearl onions. Don’t skip on the curry leaves as they offer quite a lot of taste to this stew.
2. Add the chopped veggies and stir to mix. Add the greens that you just like. I’ve added right here carrots, inexperienced peas, french beans and potatoes.
Keep in mind to not add greens that develop into too mushy on cooking – like okra or pumpkin, eggplant and so forth.
3. Add skinny coconut milk or water. Cowl the pan with lid and prepare dinner the veggies till tender.
4. The veggies ought to be cooked until they’re fork tender.
5. Add the thick coconut milk. Stir effectively and simmer for simply half a minute.
6. Serve Kerala vegetable stew with appams or steamed rice.
- You would add the greens you want. Cauliflower, inexperienced peas, carrot, french beans, potatoes, child corn, bell peppers, broccoli are some good selections.
- For some umami taste, white button mushrooms may also be added.
- Decide to make the stew with selfmade coconut milk or any good model of canned coconut milk.
- Coconut oil is a should within the recipe, so don’t skip it.
- If wanting time, the veggies may be cooked in a stovetop strain cooker or within the Immediate pot including water as a substitute of coconut milk.
- After including thick coconut milk, don’t boil the stew because the fat within the coconut milk might break up and separate.
Extra Kerala Recipes
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Vegetable Stew | Veg Stew Recipe
This Kerala type vegetable stew is simple to make calmly spiced, delicate and fragrant stew made with blended greens, coconut milk and spices. A well-liked stew from the Kerala delicacies.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth coconut oil. Add the entire & crushed spices – cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, black pepper. On low warmth fry them until aromatic.
Then add the ginger, garlic, inexperienced chilies, sliced onions and curry leaves. Sauté until the onions develop into translucent on low to medium-low warmth. Do not brown the onions.
Add the chopped veggies and stir to combine.
Add skinny coconut milk or water. Season with salt in response to style. Cowl the pan with a lid and prepare dinner the veggies.
The veggies ought to be cooked until they’re fork tender.
- Lastly add the thick coconut milk. Stir effectively and simmer on low warmth for simply half a minute.For a little bit of candy style, choose so as to add sugar when you choose.
If you’d like, you can too warmth a couple of teaspoons of oil and fry curry leaves in it until crisp. Then add this curry leaves tempering from the highest earlier than serving the veg stew.
Serve Kerala type vegetable stew with appam or steamed rice.
- * If utilizing water as a substitute of skinny coconut milk, you need to use the strain cooker for cooking the veggies. Simply add 2 cups water and strain prepare dinner for 1 whistle on medium warmth.
- Scale back the inexperienced chillies when you choose. You can even cut back the quantity of crushed black pepper.
- Be at liberty so as to add your selection of greens. However guarantee to not add greens that develop into mushy or pasty after cooking.
Vegetable Stew | Veg Stew Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 612 Energy from Fats 333
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 34g213%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 7762IU155%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 50mg250%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 156mg189%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 34µg32%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 581µg145%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Veg Stew recipe put up from the archives first printed on Might 2014 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.