The jury continues to be out on whether or not these famed breakfast pastries are extra dessert than breakfast meals, however we’re glad to get pleasure from them any time of day. On this do-it-yourself remake, crumbly, barely flaky pastry is crammed with strawberry fruit unfold after which topped with a merely candy white icing and sprinkled with a rainbow of glowing sugars.
Strawberry Toaster Pastries
- 2½ cups (313 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tablespoons (18 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup (227 grams) chilly unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) ice water
- 1 cup (320 grams) strawberry fruit unfold*
- 1 tablespoon (8 grams) cornstarch
- 4½ tablespoons (67.5 grams) water, divided
- 1 massive egg (50 grams), room temperature
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: assorted glowing sugars
- Within the work bowl of a meals processor, place flour, granulated sugar, and ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) salt; pulse till mixed. Add chilly butter; pulse till combination is crumbly and butter is pea-size. With processor working, add 2 tablespoons (30 grams) ice water in a sluggish, regular stream simply till dough comes collectively. (Combination could seem crumbly, nevertheless it must be moist and maintain collectively when pinched.)
- End up dough, and divide in half (about 287 grams every). Form every half right into a 5-inch sq.. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate till chilled, about half-hour.
- In a small bowl, stir collectively cornstarch and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water till effectively mixed.
- In a small saucepan, convey fruit unfold to a boil over medium warmth. Add cornstarch combination, and cook dinner till combination is boiling and has thickened and decreased barely, 10 to 12 minutes. Switch to a heatproof bowl; cowl and refrigerate for no less than half-hour.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a evenly floured floor, roll half of dough right into a 14×10-inch rectangle (about 1⁄16 inch thick). Utilizing a bench knife or a pointy thin-bladed knife, trim edges to make a 13½×9¾-inch rectangle. Lower dough into 9 (4½×3¼-inch) rectangles. Utilizing a small offset spatula, gently place rectangles on ready pans. Spoon a heaping 1 tablespoon (31 grams) chilled fruit unfold combination onto rectangles, spreading into a skinny layer with a small offset spatula and leaving a ¾-inch border round edges. Refrigerate till agency, about 10 minutes.
- On a evenly floured floor, roll remaining dough right into a 14×10-inch rectangle (about 1/16 inch thick). Utilizing a bench knife or a pointy thin-bladed knife, trim edges to make a 13½×9¾-inch rectangle. Lower dough into 9 (4½×3¼-inch) rectangles. Utilizing a fork, dock rectangles in ¼-inch intervals throughout.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively egg and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Brush egg wash onto all edges of chilled dough rectangles. High with docked dough, urgent edges collectively firmly to seal. Utilizing a bench knife or a pointy thin-bladed knife, trim ¼ inch off all edges, creating a good seal. Refrigerate till agency, about 1 hour, or freeze for quarter-hour.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Bake till barely puffed, tops are dry, and bottoms are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on pans for 10 minutes. Take away from pans, and let cool fully on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively confectioners’ sugar and remaining 2½ tablespoons (37.5 grams) water till clean and ribbons drizzled on icing floor take 10 seconds to settle again down. Spoon icing into right into a small pastry bag fitted with a small spherical piping tip (Ateco #801). Pipe a rectangle round edges of tarts, leaving a ¼-inch border round edges. Fill in middle. Utilizing a wood decide, take away any air bubbles and ensure there aren’t any gaps in icing. Garnish with glowing sugar, if desired.
*We used Bonne Maman Intense Strawberry Fruit Unfold.