Smooth-baked with crisp edges, loaded with chewy dried strawberries and creamy white chocolate, these strawberries & cream cookies ship a summery-sweet style any time of yr.
Have you ever ever tried my strawberry biscuit cookies? Buttery, tender, and flaky, the cookies come collectively like an precise biscuit dough full of contemporary berries. They’re cute, candy, and topped with icing.
However they don’t have that chewy-dense texture everyone knows and love about, say, chocolate chip cookies. That’s as a result of throwing contemporary strawberries into cookie dough creates a very moist cookie dough… aka a cookie paste. I really like the strawberry biscuit cookies, however I by no means actually gave up on my strawberry cookie quest.
Enter freeze-dried strawberries, the magical type of berry goodness that makes strawberry buttercream potential. Give the freeze-dried fruit a tough chop and throw them into cookie dough together with white chocolate chunks and cream cheese. It is a recipe for dessert utopia.
Why You’ll Adore These Strawberries & Cream Cookies
- Cream cheese within the dough makes for smooth and creamy-tasting cookies
- The freeze-dried strawberries rehydrate within the dough, so the bits of berry are deliciously chewy (not ethereal and lightweight)
- Completely candy with gooey swimming pools of melted white chocolate
- Thick and soft-baked heart, with crispy edges
- Mixture of white chocolate and strawberry is so yummy—identical to in these white chocolate strawberry cupcakes
- Get pleasure from candy strawberries & cream any time of yr!
We’ll use the identical cookie dough base as these cookies & cream cookies. Utilizing a mixture of butter and cream cheese, the cookies are additional smooth and uniquely creamy-tasting. So satisfying.
A Few Key Substances You Want
- Cornstarch: I really like including a contact of cornstarch as a result of it helps create a thicker, softer cookie. If you happen to don’t have it, simply depart it out.
- Baking Soda: Helps the cookies puff up after which fall to their crinkly, chewy future.
- Cream Cheese: Makes for a deliciously smooth and creamy cookie, which is what all of us love in these cream cheese sugar cookies.
- White Chocolate: Chopped white chocolate melts into gooey little puddles of candy creaminess. The items on the underside of the cookies tackle a scrumptious caramelized taste, too. You may also use white chocolate chips as an alternative, or semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or darkish chocolate chips should you desire.
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries: Whereas these begin with a light-as-air dry and crispy texture, the strawberries truly rehydrate within the dough, so that they find yourself delightfully chewy within the baked cookies. (I don’t notably love the feel of freeze-dried strawberries, however after baking in a moist dough, the feel completely transforms.)
Cream the Butter & Cream Cheese Collectively First
Creamed room-temperature butter and sugar is the bottom of many cookie recipes. However earlier than we add the sugar, it’s crucial to correctly cream the cream cheese and butter collectively. The 2 are totally different textures—cream cheese is far softer than butter. My tip is to beat the cream cheese in your mixer till very smooth and easy, with no lumps. Then add the softened butter and beat collectively till mixed. That is your creamy base for these strawberries & cream cookies.
Freeze-Dried Strawberries Success Ideas
- The place to purchase freeze-dried strawberries? I discover freeze-dried strawberries in my common grocery retailer within the dried fruit aisle. They’re turning into fairly widespread. Dealer Joe’s, Amazon, and Goal all carry them, as properly.
- Combine them into the dough final. Beat within the white chocolate chunks first, after which add within the strawberry items in your mixer’s lowest pace, simply briefly to include, with out letting the mixer crush the berries an excessive amount of (otherwise you’ll find yourself with pinkish taupe cookies). Use the items of strawberries, not all of the strawberry mud that’s created while you chop the freeze-dried berries. Save that for making the frosting on a strawberry cake!
Count on a thick and sticky dough. Be sure to take the time to relax it within the fridge for at the very least 2 hours, in any other case your cookies will unfold into shapeless puddles within the oven. The dough stiffens up fairly properly after 2 hours within the fridge:
Ideas for Shaping Your Cookies
After chilling, scoop the dough (heaping 1.5 Tablespoons/35g in dimension, I take advantage of this medium cookie scoop) and roll into balls. Really, you wish to type them into tall columns (LOL) to assist guarantee good thick cookies, such as you see me do when making chewy chocolate chip cookies.
These are thick, lumpy-bumpy cookies. Don’t count on them to come back out trying uniform, due to the chunky items of chopped berries and white chocolate, however that’s a part of their appeal! Examine on the cookies about midway by way of baking and:
- In the event that they’re not spreading a lot, take the baking sheet out of the oven and bang it in your counter a pair instances, to provoke the unfold. The longer you chill the dough, the much less the cookies will unfold, so should you chill the dough for longer than 2 hours, let it sit at room temperature for about half-hour earlier than forming into cookies and baking.
- In case your cookies are over-spreading or trying actually uneven in form or dimension, use a spoon to softly press in across the edges to reshape, then return the pans to the oven to complete baking.
I additionally wish to press a number of extra white chocolate chunks into the tops of the strawberries & cream cookies after they’re nonetheless heat, but it surely’s just for appears. And in case you have additional white chocolate, be happy to soften it and drizzle over the cooled cookies.
Utilizing a mixture of butter and cream cheese, these strawberry-speckled white chocolate cookies are additional smooth and uniquely creamy-tasting. Chill the dough for at the very least 2 hours earlier than baking.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt collectively in a medium bowl. Put aside.
- In a big bowl utilizing a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high pace till utterly easy and creamy. Add the butter and beat till mixed, scraping down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl as wanted. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium-high pace till easy and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on excessive pace till mixed, about 1 minute. Scrape down the perimeters and up the underside of the bowl and beat once more as wanted to mix.
- Add the dry elements to the moist elements and blend on low pace till mixed. With the mixer working on low pace, beat within the white chocolate chunks. Add the freeze-dried strawberries and beat on low pace briefly, till simply mixed.
- Cowl and chill the dough for at the very least 2 hours within the fridge (and as much as 4 days). If chilling for longer than a number of hours, permit to take a seat at room temperature for at the very least half-hour earlier than rolling and baking as a result of the dough can be fairly laborious.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Put aside.
- Roll cookie dough, a heaping 1.5 Tablespoons of dough per cookie (I take advantage of this medium-size cookie scoop), and place 3 inches aside on the baking sheets. Bake for 13–quarter-hour or till flippantly browned on the perimeters. The facilities will look very smooth.
- Take away from the oven and permit cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes earlier than transferring to a wire rack to chill utterly. Whereas the cookies are nonetheless heat, I wish to press a number of extra white chocolate chunks into the tops, only for appears.
- Cookies keep contemporary lined at room temperature for as much as 1 week.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: You may make the cookie dough and chill it within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Permit to come back to room temperature then proceed with step 5. Baked cookies freeze properly for as much as 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze properly for as much as 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an additional minute, no must thaw. Right here’s how one can freeze cookie dough.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Electrical Mixer (Stand Mixer or Handheld) | Baking Sheets | Silicone Baking Mats or Parchment Sheets | Medium Cookie Scoop
- Cornstarch: I really like including slightly cornstarch to some cookie recipes as a result of it helps hold the cookies additional smooth. You possibly can depart it out should you don’t have any with no different adjustments to the recipe wanted. (The cookies are nonetheless fairly smooth with out it!)
- Cream Cheese: Use half of an 8-ounce block of full-fat cream cheese. Don’t use cream cheese unfold or whipped cream cheese. If utilizing low-fat or fat-free, take into account that the feel of the cookies can be totally different. They gained’t be as wealthy or chewy and will unfold extra. I like to recommend full-fat.
- The place to Purchase Freeze-Dried Strawberries: I all the time discover them in my common grocery retailer within the aisle with the dried fruit. Goal, Entire Meals, and Dealer Joe’s carry them, too. Or you may buy them on-line.
- White Chocolate: I sometimes use the Baker’s or Ghirardelli model white chocolate baking bars, which are available in 4-ounce (113g) bars, so I chopped up 1 and 1/2 bars for these cookies. Be at liberty to make use of 1 cup white chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips as an alternative.
- You should definitely take a look at my high 5 cookie baking ideas AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking instruments.
Key phrases: strawberries & cream cookies