This straightforward baked pasta is loaded with greens, further tacky, and severely irresistible. Our meatless baked pasta will please vegetarians and meat lovers alike. Leap to the Vegetable Baked Pasta Recipe
Watch The Video
Why I Love This Straightforward Baked Pasta
We’ve shared fairly a couple of vegetarian pastas already, however this further straightforward pasta bake simply may be on the prime of my favorites checklist. Listed below are 4 causes to like this recipe:
- The recipe requires seasonal greens and inexpensive pantry elements.
- The pasta is hearty and ultra-satisfying. Even meat lovers adore this vegetarian baked pasta recipe.
- Baked pasta is the proper make-ahead meal. Search for all my suggestions under.
- It’s extremely straightforward to make and could be tailored to be dairy-free/vegan (I’ve shared substitutions under).
How To Make The Finest Veggie Baked Pasta
A couple of years in the past, we shared our recipe for vegetable lasagna. So lots of you will have commented about how a lot you’re keen on the recipe, we got down to create one other veggie based mostly pasta, however one which doesn’t require practically as a lot time to make.
I nonetheless LOVE that lasagna, however once I’m quick on time, this tacky baked pasta is the place I flip. Since we’re with regards to pasta recipes, you may want to try our recipe for veggie spaghetti.
The Components You’ll Want
The elements for this straightforward pasta bake are easy. Right here’s what you will want to make it:
- Pasta of alternative — I really like rigatoni, which is what we used within the images.
- Greens — These are as much as you. In our images, we used onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms. I’ve shared alternate options under.
- Marinara sauce — The sauce you utilize could be selfmade — right here’s our recipe — or you should use store-bought. I really like Rao’s and Muir Glen sauces.
- Fennel and contemporary basil — A easy addition of spice and contemporary herbs are what makes this pasta style selfmade and contemporary.
- Ricotta and mozzarella cheese — The ricotta turns into pockets of creamy heaven and the mozzarella turns into melty and brown.
How I Make The Pasta
I begin by partially cooking my greens in a skillet on the range. I exploit the most important oven-safe skillet in my kitchen in order that it might double because the baking dish that goes into the oven.
Should you don’t have a big sufficient skillet, that’s okay, you may all the time use a daily baking dish for the oven portion of the recipe. Listed below are the fundamental steps:
- Prepare dinner sliced onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms on the stove-top.
- Whereas the greens cook dinner, convey a pot of water to a boil and cook dinner the pasta.
- Mix the greens, pasta, contemporary basil, and marinara sauce.
- Sneak spoonfuls of creamy ricotta cheese into the pasta and greens.
- Add shredded cheese to the highest and bake till bubbly.
As I discussed above, the greens you add could be tailored based mostly on seasonality or what’s in your kitchen. I really like the mix of onion, peppers, and mushrooms, however different greens work, too. Right here’s a listing of different veggies you should use:
- Cubed zucchini or summer time squash.
- Spinach, kale, or collard greens.
- Cubed eggplant.
- Cauliflower florets.
- Winter squash like butternut or delicata squash — This can take a bit extra time to cook dinner.
Making Vegan Baked Pasta
Certainly one of my favourite issues about this pasta recipe is that it’s extremely straightforward to adapt. It’s already scrumptious earlier than including cheese so for a vegan variation, simply go away the ricotta and mozzarella out.
For slightly further “tacky” taste, I really like stirring a tablespoon or two of dietary yeast into the marinara sauce. You could possibly additionally experiment with including vegan cheese alternate options.
Make Forward and Storing Suggestions
Baked pasta is the proper make-ahead meal. Right here’s how I do it:
The vegetable sauce could be made upfront and will final in your fridge as much as 3 days and in your freezer for about three months. We advocate utilizing freezer-safe glass containers, or double layers of freezer luggage to retailer sauces. To thaw, go away it in a single day within the fridge.
You may refrigerate the pasta unbaked. Cowl and refrigerate the assembled, however unbaked pasta as much as 2 days. Once you cowl, use parchment or wax paper between the pasta and aluminum foil. Aluminum foil can react with the tomatoes.
Baked pasta additionally freezes properly. Let it cool utterly on a rack earlier than freezing, after which wrap it very properly with foil (we use two layers). Defrost the frozen pasta in a single day within the fridge after which bake at 400°F for about 1 hour. (I want baking after which freezing the pasta as a substitute of freezing raw pasta dishes.)
Extra Baked Pasta Recipes
Straightforward Vegetable Baked Pasta
Vegetable baked pasta loaded with veggies, pockets of ricotta cheese, and topped with melty mozzarella. The greens you utilize could be tailored based mostly on seasonality, examine our article above for extra strategies. For a vegan variation, omit the ricotta and mozzarella and as a substitute stir a few tablespoons of dietary yeast into the marinara sauce.
Makes 8 servings
Watch Us Make the Recipe
You Will Want
1 pound dried pasta; strive penne, rigatoni, or ziti pasta
1 tablespoon further virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, about 6 ounces
2 small bell peppers, about 8 ounces
8 ounces mushrooms, 1 1/4 cups sliced
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds or floor fennel, see notes
3 cups marinara sauce or use 1 (28-ounce) jar store-bought sauce
Handful of contemporary basil leaves, torn or coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
2 cups coarsely shredded cheese; strive mozzarella, fontina cheese or an Italian mix
Salt and contemporary floor black pepper
- Put together Oven and Begin Pasta
- Put together Greens
- Bake Pasta
Warmth the oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit. You probably have an oven-safe 12-inch deep skillet, you may cook dinner the veggies and bake the pasta in it. If you don’t, put together a 3-quart baking dish by flippantly greasing with olive oil.
Convey a big pot of salted water to a boil, after which cook dinner the pasta. Test the package deal for cook dinner time, however cook dinner the pasta two minutes lower than what’s advocate on the field (it’ll proceed to cook dinner within the oven). Earlier than draining the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
Whereas the pasta cooks, put together the greens. Slice the onions and bell peppers into 1/4-inch thick slices.
Utilizing a humid paper towel, brush all dust from mushrooms. Minimize away and discard any onerous stems. Chop into 1/4-inch slices or, if there are bigger mushrooms like portobello, minimize into 1/4-inch cubes.
Warmth a large skillet over medium-high warmth. Add the oil then add the mushrooms, in a single layer, and cook dinner till browned on one aspect, 3 to five minutes. Stir then add the onions and peppers. Prepare dinner one other 3 to five minutes or till the veggies are beginning to soften and have some browned edges. Season to style with salt and black pepper (I normally add 1/4 teaspoon of every).
Stir the fennel, marinara sauce, and basil into the greens. In case your skillet is giant sufficient, toss within the pasta and if the combination appears dry, add a splash of the reserved pasta water. If the skillet is simply too small, mix the sauce and pasta in a bowl. Regulate with pasta water, after which add to a baking dish.
Style the pasta and regulate with extra salt and pepper. Tuck spoonfuls of ricotta across the pasta, after which prime with the mozzarella cheese. Bake the pasta, uncovered, till the cheese melts and is effervescent, 20 to 25 minutes.
Adam and Joanne’s Suggestions
- Fennel provides a lightweight licorice taste to the pasta and is likely one of the spices used to make Italian sausage. I exploit complete fennel seeds, however crack them open first to launch the oils. To make use of it complete, crack the seeds barely utilizing the heel of a chef’s knife or the underside of a frying pan.
- Vitamin details: The diet details supplied under are estimates. We’ve got used the USDA database to calculate approximate values.
Vitamin Per Serving: Serving Measurement 1/8 of the dish / Energy 354 / Complete Fats 5.9g / Saturated Fats 1.6g / Ldl cholesterol 13mg / Sodium 731.4mg / Carbohydrate 54.5g / Dietary Fiber 5.2g / Complete Sugars 8.9g / Protein 20.3g