Sunday, September 25, 2022
HomeDairyStoryteller good metering system helps farms ship extra milk in fewer masses

Storyteller good metering system helps farms ship extra milk in fewer masses



From milking robots to electrical tankers, dairy farmers have a wholesome quantity of choices when seeking to streamline their operations and obtain higher sustainability metrics.

The phrases large knowledge and synthetic intelligence are more and more utilized in relation to farming and agriculture as extra methods designed to automate farm administration arrive in the marketplace.

Among the many daring and impressive ideas lie equally intelligent creations that don’t require a heap of advanced {hardware} to work. Storyteller – a sensible metering system that may assist farmers absolutely make the most of milk tanker capability and scale back milk masses – is one such instance.

Developed by Irish data and knowledge expertise options specialist Piper Techniques, Storyteller can precisely measure the quantity of liquid milk that’s being pumped right into a tanker in actual time to cut back loading instances. The system may also sense simply how a lot house is left inside a tanker and make the most of that additional house out there to get extra milk transported in a single go.

Storyteller has been trialled by US dairy cooperative Agri-Mark at one in all its farms in Vermont. The system is but to be formally launched, which is anticipated to occur by the top of 2022, full with pricing data.

“Our typical accuracy efficiency on the system is +/- 0.25%,”​ Anthony Canavan, COO at Piper Techniques, advised DairyReporter. “Based mostly on this examine with Storyteller and different comparative research with a Piper metering system versus conventional strategies within the US, there’s an enchancment better than 2.5 instances in accuracy.”

Utilizing Storyteller, Agri-Mark has been in a position to load milk onto vehicles ‘in round half the time’ in comparison with a standard system, in keeping with Canavan. “That’s round a 30-minute time saving per load,”​ he added.

The expertise may also guarantee the complete capability of every tanker is utilized. “Our evaluation reveals that common tanker utilization throughout a fleet ranges between 92% – 95% utilizing current strategies,”​ Canavan stated. “The chance that exists with Storyteller is to entry that underutilized capability and allow the transportation of the identical quantity of milk with 5% to eight% fewer deliveries.”

Past quick and environment friendly loading, there are extra advantages for farmers, resembling that milk might be pumped into tankers whereas milking is in progress. In farms with greater than 1,000 cattle, this might scale back the necessity for in depth storage amenities.

“If you should use a sensible telephone, you may simply use this method.”

However the title ‘Storyteller’ refers back to the system’s capacity to repeatedly monitor milk high quality throughout the loading course of to supply an summary of milk composition and microbiology. It additionally grants farmers entry to loading temperatures and sanitation metrics such because the temperature of the water used for tank cleansing. The info is collected and uploaded to a cloud-based platform, which is accessible by way of easy-to-use software program and out there on to farmers.

“Our cloud-based knowledge portal provides an simply accessible, minute-by-minute overview of all crucial course of parameters related to milk assortment and farm cleaning-in-place (CIP) processes,”​ defined Canavan. “We retain all historic load knowledge, and minute-by-minute telemetry knowledge is retained for one yr.

“Critically, any historic knowledge is on the market inside three clicks on our knowledge portal, making it simple to entry and quickly lowering problem-solving instances for each upstream and downstream points,”​ defined Canavan.

The price of the system can be decided on a case by case foundation, with system price set to be introduced on the finish of this yr when the product is formally launched. However Piper Techniques predicts {that a} typical massive farm would obtain return on funding inside two years. “There are a number of components that decide ROI – together with present functionality, driver charges, capability utilization, milk quantity produced, distance to plant, price of unloading at plant and CIP, and so forth,”​ Canavan added.

How easy is it to make use of the software program each day? Admittedly, farm employees and truck drivers have to be skilled to profit from the system’s capabilities, however the preliminary suggestions from Agri-Mark has been that the interface is ‘each extremely efficient and user-friendly’. “As a part of the event cycle, we targeted on offering a transparent and intuitive person interface for the operators,”​ Canavan advised us.

“Storyteller takes the decision-making away from the operator and steps the operator by means of the method with display screen prompts. As one driver stated, ‘If you should use a sensible telephone, you may simply use this method’,​” he concluded.

Piper Techniques has acquired funding help by S3FOOD to develop Storyteller. S3FOOD is a four-year €5m scheme funded by the EU Horizon 2020 program to help R&D tasks and SMEs from the meals processing trade, together with expertise and digital suppliers.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments