This recipe for traditional Cranberry Sauce is very easy and made with simply 3 elements. Regardless of what number of batches of cranberry sauce I’ve made, I all the time come again to this one. It’s easy, it’s basic, and it’s actually the most effective.
When you attempt do-it-yourself cranberry sauce, there’s simply no going again to storebought. It’s higher in style, texture, and presentation. Pair this iconic vacation facet dish together with your Juicy Roast Turkey for a burst of sweet-tart taste in each chunk.
This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.
We love cranberries for the vacations, from Sugared Cranberries (and you need to use leftovers to make this cranberry sauce!) to moist and fluffy Cranberry Bread. In case you are on the lookout for a go-to cranberry sauce, that is it! Plus, you may change it up in so many various methods and make it your personal (see variations under).
Traditional Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Home made Cranberry Sauce is iconic for the vacations and a staple of our Thanksgiving menu yearly. Nothing pairs higher with Thanksgiving Turkey. The mixture of candy and tangy with savory meats is irresistibly good.
Learn on for our tips about learn how to sweeten this recipe the pure manner, with out processed sugar. We’ve additionally included some enjoyable variations to essentially make this recipe your personal as a result of there are 100 methods to make cranberry sauce.
You don’t want a lot to make a superb cranberry sauce (scroll right down to get the complete quantities obtainable within the recipe card):
- Sweetener – Use your selection of granulated sugar or a pure sweetener, like honey or maple syrup. My favourite is maple syrup as a result of it provides a pleasant layer of maple taste.
- Cranberries – We love making this recipe with complete recent cranberries. Many grocery shops will carry baggage of recent cranberries after they’re in season.
Professional Tip: You don’t want cornstarch to set this excellent cranberry sauce. Cranberries include pectin, a pure thickener that’s launched when the berries are heated. For those who simmer the sauce lengthy sufficient, it should thicken all by itself.
Can I Use Frozen Cranberries?
Sure, this recipe will work with frozen cranberries, too. Frozen cranberries will take slightly longer to come back to a boil and simmer, however the texture all the time seems simply as scrumptious.
It’s straightforward to freeze recent cranberries within the baggage they got here in (or switch them to a freezer bag). They’ll maintain frozen for as much as a 12 months, and we nearly all the time have a stash in our freezer.
How one can Make Cranberry Sauce from Scratch
We simply love how rapidly this recipe comes collectively on the stovetop. It’s simply 3 steps:
- Dissolve the Sugar – In a saucepan, mix your sweetener of selection with water on the stovetop, and convey it to a simmer. Stir till the sugar has utterly dissolved.
- Add Cranberries and Cook dinner – Add the cranberries to the pot and allow them to come to a low boil, then cook dinner, uncovered, till the sauce thickens. Keep in mind to stir sometimes.
- Cool and Serve – Stir in extra sweetener to style, then go away the cranberry sauce to chill. See under for straightforward serving options.
Professional Tip: In case your cranberry sauce nonetheless tastes a bit bitter or too tart after it’s cooked, you may add extra sweetener to style.
My favourite variation is that this basic and easy model, however there are such a lot of methods you may change up and luxuriate in this sauce. Beneath are less difficult variations and add-in concepts (see the recipe card for extra detailed directions):
- Cranberry Orange Sauce
- Lemon zest and freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Orange zest and orange juice
- Dried cherries and pecans
Cranberry relish is usually extra bitter, created from uncooked cranberries which might be minced up in a meals processor.
Sure! Much less sugar or added sweetness will end in a extra tart and tangy sauce. Begin with ½ cup of sweetener and add extra to style.
Home made cranberry sauce freezes superbly (see under), so go forward and make a double batch in case you’d prefer to have extras.
Methods to Serve Cranberry Sauce
We’ll typically serve this do-it-yourself sauce chilly or at room temperature. Listed here are simply a number of the some ways to get pleasure from it:
This basic condiment retains nicely for days after it’s made. Right here’s learn how to retailer your leftovers:
- To Refrigerate: Retailer the cooled cranberries hermetic within the fridge for as much as 1 week.
- Freezing: You possibly can freeze do-it-yourself cranberry sauce for as much as 2 months. Seal it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag to retailer, and defrost it within the fridge earlier than serving.
We are able to’t wait so that you can do that easy, but unbelievably tangy and attractive 3-ingredient cranberry sauce.
Extra Cranberry Recipes
Can’t get sufficient cranberries for the vacations? Take a look at much more straightforward cranberry recipes:
Simple Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Cook dinner Time: 20 minutes
Complete Time: 20 minutes
Home made Cranberry Sauce is an iconic Thanksgiving facet dish made with simply 3 elements. You possibly can sweeten it with sugar or use a pure sweetener like honey or maple syrup (our favourite!). The candy and tangy flavors pair completely with savory turkey.
Price to Make:
cranberry sauce, do-it-yourself cranberry sauce, learn how to make cranberry sauce
Condiments, Aspect Dish
Servings: 8 servings
granulated sugar, or 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup, plus extra to style
recent or frozen cranberries
Non-obligatory add-ins initially of cooking:
extensive strips of lemon zest, plus 1 Tbsp lemon juice
extensive strips of orange zest, plus 1/4 cup juice
In a massive saucepan, mix sugar (or maple syrup or honey) and water. Set over medium warmth and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add cranberries and convey to a delicate boil. Cut back warmth to low and simmer uncovered, stirring sometimes, till the cranberries burst and the sauce thickens, about 12-Quarter-hour.
Add extra maple syrup, honey, or sugar to style if wanted, then take away from warmth and funky sauce to room temperature earlier than serving.
- To Retailer: As soon as cranberry sauce has cooled to room temperature, switch to an hermetic container and refrigerate for as much as 1 week.
Simple Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 1
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 0.004g0%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.02g
Monounsaturated Fats 0.01g
Vitamin A 26IU1%
Vitamin C 6mg7%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.