This seeded oat bread is crusty on the surface, chewy on the within, and has probably the most scrumptious crunch in each chunk, due to all of the seeds. This can be a hearty loaf that may stand as much as any meal, from thick and chunky stews to delicate poached eggs. You’ll use a simple no-knead technique to make this yeast bread, which produces a wonderful home made loaf with minimal hands-on work.
This recipe is dropped at you in partnership with Purple Star Yeast.
these attractive seed-encrusted loaves of bread you see in bakery home windows?
The type that appear to be they took ages to make, and also you surprise how a lot kneading, shaping, and work went into simply 1 loaf? Nicely, you may make those self same lovely seeded loaves proper at house, with hardly any work concerned. No kneading, no complicated shaping, no mixer wanted.
Sure, this crusty, chewy, golden brown, seed-speckled oat bread doesn’t require any sophisticated work.
This bread, like my home made cranberry nut bread and olive bread, will persuade anybody that you just both purchased it from a bakery or spent all day within the kitchen making it—which after all you didn’t. Don’t really feel like it’s important to allow them to in on our little secret. 😉
Hearty Home made Bread for Freshmen
This texture-lover’s seeded oat bread recipe relies off of my home made artisan bread, a splendidly simple and broadly standard no-knead bread that’s utilized by each newcomers and specialists.
If you happen to’re nervous to attempt home made bread, this recipe is a good introduction. Regardless that the recipe is straightforward, the bread does NOT skimp on taste. It’s only a easy approach of baking home made bread impressed by the no-knead approach originating from bread knowledgeable Jim Lahey.
Right here’s why it’s so easy:
- Solely 7 components (together with water!)
- Completely no kneading (identical to home made English muffins!)
- Zero sophisticated shaping
- No mixer required
- 90% of the time is completely arms off
- Dough can relaxation within the fridge for as much as 3 days—an amazing make-ahead recipe
- Can bake in a dutch oven or on a baking sheet
The trick is giving the risen dough a relaxation within the fridge. The cool air slows the fermentation course of and helps develop higher taste.
Seize These Components:
Right here’s why every ingredient is so essential:
- Bread Flour: When you might use all-purpose flour on this recipe, I strongly advocate utilizing bread flour. Bread flour produces a stronger, chewier bread and that makes a giant distinction in an artisan-style loaf like this oat bread.
- Oats: Oats present just a little healthful texture. Because the dough rises, the oats absorb some moisture and broaden. Entire rolled oats are greatest, however you should use fast oats if wanted.
- Salt: I like to recommend utilizing coarse sea salt as a result of I discover the bread’s taste missing with common desk salt.
- Prompt Yeast: I at all times use Platinum Yeast by Purple Star, which is an immediate yeast (aka “fast rise” yeast). 1 and 1/2 teaspoons is rather less than 1 commonplace packet. (If utilizing lively dry yeast, there are not any modifications wanted to the recipe. The rise time could take barely longer.)
- Seeds: Pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds are all extremely nutritious—they’re just about superfoods. I really like that these 3 kinds of seeds differ a lot in dimension and texture, however in the event you’d like to vary up the kinds of seeds on this combination, go for it. I take advantage of a medley of seeds on this multigrain bread, too.
- Honey: Honey helps give this bread a springy, spongey texture. It additionally provides just a little sweetness, however we’re utilizing half as a lot honey right here than in my honey oat bread recipe, so the bread isn’t tremendous candy.
- Water: You’ll additionally want just a little heat water to convey all of the components collectively.
Let Me Present You Learn how to Make This Seeded Bread
The total written recipe is beneath, however use the next explanations and step photographs that can assist you get began. Carry the dough components collectively as instructed within the recipe. At first the dough will appear very dry and shaggy and also you’ll query if it’s going to even come collectively. It can. Actually, the dough is just a little sticky after it has been completely combined:
Let it rise. Cowl the dough and let it rise at room temperature for about 3 hours. Discover that the dough rises OUT greater than it rises UP. That’s okay.
You’ll be able to transfer on to shaping and baking the dough, however for greatest taste, I strongly advocate refrigerating the risen dough, even when it’s only for a pair hours. I often refrigerate it for 12 hours.
After the dough rises and rests within the fridge, use generously floured arms to form the dough right into a spherical boule or ball-like form.
Use a Baking Sheet or Dutch Oven
Baking the seeded oat bread in a coated dutch oven traps steam contained in the pot, creating that excellent crispy crust. If you happen to plan to bake a number of bread sooner or later, you gained’t remorse shopping for a dutch oven. If you happen to don’t have a dutch oven, a nonstick baking sheet is greatest. (I take advantage of a baking sheet within the video tutorial beneath. And also have a trick for making a steamy oven!)
- Baking Sheet: If you happen to’re utilizing a baking sheet, mud the pan with cornmeal and/or just a little flour. Place the dough on high, cowl it, and let it relaxation because the oven preheats. You can see these detailed directions within the recipe beneath, together with my optionally available steamy oven trick for a crispy crust in step 10. (Including boiled water to a pan beneath the baking bread. Works nice!)
- Dutch Oven: Place the empty dutch oven with lid within the oven because it preheats. Place the ball of dough on high-heat-resistant parchment paper (I take advantage of this parchment paper) after which match it inside a bowl. Cowl and let the dough relaxation because the oven preheats, then place it (with the parchment) within the sizzling dutch oven earlier than baking. You can see these detailed directions within the recipe Word beneath.
Whichever baking technique you employ, don’t overlook so as to add seeds/oats to the outside of the dough (I often simply press them on). And ensure you rating the dough with a bread lame or sharp knife earlier than baking. Scoring permits the moist, ethereal dough to “breathe” because it expands and bakes.
Baking sheet technique:
Dutch oven technique:
The bread is unbelievable when it’s contemporary from the oven—heat, crispy, crusty, comfortable, and loaded with texture in and out!
What Do I Serve With Seeded Bread?
However I particularly love serving this seeded oat bread alongside a soup, like this creamy hen noodle soup or home made alphabet soup. It additionally offers phenomenal texture to grilled cheese sandwiches, and makes a hearty base for creamy smashed avocado and comfortable eggs.
If you happen to handle to have any leftover, make use of the stale bread on this simple breakfast casserole!
Observe this simple no-knead recipe for a hearty loaf of home made seeded oat bread. Evaluation Notes earlier than starting. If you happen to’re new to working with yeast, reference my Baking with Yeast Information for solutions to widespread yeast FAQs.
- Watch the video beneath earlier than you start, and let that be your visible information for this recipe.
- In a big ungreased mixing bowl, whisk the flour and yeast collectively. Add the oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and salt and whisk to mix. Combine the honey and water collectively, after which pour over the dry components. Utilizing a rubber spatula or wood spoon, gently combine collectively. The dough will appear dry and shaggy, however hold working it till all of the flour is moistened. If wanted, use your arms to work the dough components collectively. The dough will likely be very sticky. Form right into a ball within the bowl as greatest you may. If it’s not coming collectively, add an additional 2-3 Tablespoons (16-25g) of flour.
- Maintaining the dough within the bowl, cowl the dough tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and set on the counter at room temperature (actually any regular room temperature is okay). Permit to rise for 3 hours. The dough will nearly double in dimension, follow the edges of the bowl, and have a number of air bubbles.
- You’ll be able to proceed with step 5 instantly, however for best possible taste and texture, I strongly advocate letting this risen dough relaxation within the fridge for no less than 12 hours and as much as 3 days. (Even only a couple hours is nice!) Place coated dough within the fridge for as much as 3 days. The dough will puff up throughout this time, however could start to deflate after 2 days. That’s regular and nothing to fret about.
- Calmly mud a big nonstick baking sheet (with or with out rims, and ensure it’s nonstick) with just a little flour and/or cornmeal. Utilizing generously floured arms and mild stress in order to not deflate the dough an excessive amount of, form the risen dough right into a ball. (I simply do that proper contained in the bowl it’s in, or you are able to do this on a flippantly floured work floor.) Dough may be very sticky.
- Switch ball to ready baking sheet. Combine topping components collectively. Sprinkle on high of dough, and if the seeds aren’t sticking, press them into the dough as greatest you may. Loosely cowl and permit dough to relaxation for 45 minutes. You’ll bake the dough on this ready baking sheet. See recipe Word if you wish to use a dutch oven.
- Throughout this 45 minutes, preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C).
- When able to bake, utilizing a really sharp knife or bread lame (you possibly can even use kitchen shears), rating the dough with a slash or X about 1/2 inch deep. (“Rating” = shallow lower.) If the formed loaf flattened out through the 45 minutes, use floured arms to reshape.
- Place the formed and scored dough (on the flour/cornmeal-dusted pan) within the preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Non-obligatory for a barely crispier crust: Place a shallow metallic or forged iron baking pan or skillet (I often use a metallic 9×13-inch baking pan) on the underside oven rack. Fastidiously and rapidly pour 3–4 cups of boiling water into the shallow pan. Rapidly shut the oven to lure as a lot steam inside. The steam helps create a crispier crust.
- Bake for 40 minutes or till the crust is golden brown. If you happen to noticing the outside browning too rapidly, tent the bread with aluminum foil. Learn how to check for doneness: Give the nice and cozy bread a light-weight faucet. If it sounds hole, it’s performed. For a extra correct check, the bread is completed when an immediate learn thermometer reads the middle of the loaf as 195°F (90°C).
- Take away the bread from the oven and permit to chill for no less than 10–20 minutes earlier than slicing and serving. Retailer leftovers loosely coated at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as 10 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: The dough can sit within the fridge for as much as 3 days (step 4), so this can be a fantastic recipe to start forward of time. You can too bake the bread, enable it to chill, and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge and permit to return to room temperature earlier than serving. You can too freeze the dough. Full the recipe by way of step 5. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-friendly container. Freeze as much as 3 months. To bake, enable dough to thaw in a single day within the fridge, or for two–3 hours at room temperature. Proceed with step 6, together with permitting dough to relaxation for 45 minutes earlier than baking. Needless to say the bread tastes just a little heavier after freezing/thawing the dough after which baking it.
- Flour: For best possible taste and chewy texture, I strongly advocate utilizing bread flour. You need to use a 1:1 substitution of all-purpose flour in a pinch with no different modifications to the recipe. I like to recommend avoiding entire wheat flour on this dough, nonetheless if essential, you may substitute as much as 1 cup (about 130g) of the bread flour with entire wheat flour. The bread will style a bit heavy.
- Yeast: I at all times use Platinum Yeast from Purple Star, an immediate yeast. If utilizing lively dry yeast, the rise time may very well be barely longer. Reference my Baking with Yeast Information for solutions to widespread yeast FAQs.
- Salt: Use a rough salt, equivalent to coarse sea salt, on this bread. I discover the flavour barely missing when utilizing common desk advantageous salt. If you happen to solely have advantageous salt, scale back to 1 and 1/2 teaspoons.
- Seeds: Be at liberty to make use of extra/much less of a specific seed you like, or skip any seeds if you want. Round 1/2 cup of bigger seeds and a couple of Tablespoons of smaller seeds is good. If you wish to add poppy seeds, substitute 1 Tablespoon of flax seeds with poppy seeds. Or simply use 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds and skip the flax.
- Utilizing a Dutch Oven: You want a 6-quart or bigger dutch oven or any massive oven-safe pot with a lid (lid is essential—see cranberry nut bread for extra info). Put together dough recipe above by way of step 4, together with refrigerating the risen dough for no less than 2 hours. After refrigerating, flip the dough out onto a flippantly floured work floor and, utilizing flippantly floured arms, form right into a ball as greatest you may. Doesn’t need to be excellent. Switch dough to a big piece of parchment paper. (Massive sufficient to suit inside your pot and one that’s secure below such excessive warmth. I take advantage of this parchment and it’s by no means been a problem.) Raise the parchment paper and dough up and place all of it into a big mixing bowl. Cowl dough flippantly with plastic wrap and depart alone for half-hour. Throughout this half-hour, preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C). Place your dutch oven (with the lid) inside for half-hour in order that it’s extraordinarily sizzling earlier than the dough is positioned inside. After half-hour, sprinkle seed topping throughout dough. And utilizing a bread lame, gently rating a 1/2 inch deep slash or X into the highest. Take away the dutch oven from the oven and punctiliously place the dough inside by lifting it up with the parchment paper and sticking all of it—parchment paper included—contained in the pot. Cowl with the lid. Bake for half-hour with the lid on. Fastidiously take away the lid and proceed baking for 10 extra minutes or till the bread is golden brown. You’ll be able to check for doneness precisely how you’ll in step 10 above. Take away pot from the oven, rigorously take away the bread from the pot, and permit to chill on a wire rack for 10–20 minutes earlier than slicing/serving.
- No Nonstick Pan?: If you happen to don’t have a nonstick baking sheet, line it with parchment paper as a substitute. Coat with a dusting of flour and/or cornmeal earlier than inserting the dough on high. Parchment paper can burn, so it’s greatest to verify the field to see how a lot warmth yours can tolerate. Decrease your oven warmth if essential, and bake the bread for longer till it’s golden brown and sounds hole when tapped.
Key phrases: seeded oat bread
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail collection is a good place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru a number of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.