Constructed from simply 5 components, this salted caramel frosting is fudge-like, wealthy, and buttery. It’s the whole lot you’re keen on in regards to the taste of home made salted caramel—in frosting kind! Get pleasure from it piped onto apple cupcakes, unfold over banana cake, or sandwiched between two butter pecan cookies. Comply with my step-by-step directions, success ideas, and video tutorial for finest outcomes.
Creamy and fudge-like, with an irresistible salty-sweet-butter taste, that is the frosting that each one desserts are begging for. (I’m certain all desserts would style epic below a blanket of these things.)
Not the Quickest Frosting, However Definitely the Tastiest
If you wish to do that frosting, be warned that it’s not an easy, fast course of. Now that I’m scaring you away, let me again up and clarify.
There are two foremost steps on this recipe: (1) Cook dinner a brown sugar caramel on the range, after which let it cool for 20 minutes. (2) Beat in sifted confectioners’ sugar and a bit heavy cream or milk to skinny out.
You need to use the frosting instantly, however it will likely be fairly runny… pourable consistency, actually. Or when you wait a minimum of 20-Half-hour, the frosting can be thick sufficient to pipe.
So superb on banana cake.
5 Elements for Salted Caramel Frosting
- Butter: That is the bottom of the frosting, and utilizing actual butter on this recipe (not margarine or plant-based) is essential for each taste and texture.
- Brown Sugar: You need to use gentle or darkish brown sugar, or a mixture of each. (I normally do half and half.) Ensure that your brown sugar is contemporary—it ought to really feel delicate and moist, not onerous or clumpy. If utilizing all gentle brown sugar, your frosting can be lighter in coloration than these images.
- Heavy Cream/Milk, Divided: Heavy cream works finest on this recipe, however you should use complete milk or half-and-half if that’s what you will have as a substitute. Nothing lighter or the caramel and/or frosting will separate. I have no idea any nondairy options that work efficiently. When you’re making a visit to the shop, I strongly encourage you to make use of heavy cream.
- Salt: Clearly important to make this salted caramel frosting. I like to recommend common desk salt.
- Confectioners’ Sugar: Ensure that to sift the confectioner’s sugar or else your frosting may have lumps. I take advantage of a superb mesh sieve and sift it instantly into the marginally cooled salted caramel.
Recipe Testing for Constant Success
At the moment’s recipe has been revealed on my website for a few years now, however I’ve been wanting to remodel the directions, as some readers had been reporting problem. It’s extremely vital to me that the recipes I share are straightforward to comply with AND work efficiently. And this explicit frosting recipe was proving to be a bit… temperamental.
My assistant and I started retesting the unique recipe. Frustratingly, the batches stored yielding completely different outcomes. Then we started altering small variables. One batch was too onerous, one other too grainy. Why?
- First, we examined utilizing chilly butter vs. room temperature butter.
- After which we examined utilizing milk as a substitute of cream.
- Then we modified the pan.
- After which it was darkish brown or gentle brown sugar.
Nevertheless it wasn’t the temperature of the butter. And it doesn’t actually matter when you use milk or cream (I do favor cream, however the frosting nonetheless works with milk). And the pan didn’t make a noticeable distinction, similar with utilizing gentle vs. brown sugar. The issue was merely that we had been overcooking it!
Keep away from This!
The next image reveals the over-cooked, grainy caramel combination:
A Sweet Thermometer Guarantees the Finest Outcomes
The recipe used to name for boiling the caramel sauce for 3 minutes, which started being too lengthy for my range. (And the above picture reveals that.) The caramel ought to boil solely till it reaches a temperature of 230°F (110°C), after which must be faraway from the warmth. On my range, it takes just below 2 minutes, which is a fairly large distinction.
A sweet thermometer guarantees extra constant outcomes. Your frosting will not be grainy and your caramel will not be over- or under-cooked.
Left picture under: The caramel is skinny and clean proper off the range. What a distinction from the picture above! Proper picture under: Right here is the caramel after cooling for 20 minutes.
Now sift in your confectioners’ sugar and beat in additional heavy cream:
At this level, you should use the skinny frosting or wait 20-Half-hour for it to thicken right into a pipeable consistency. The longer it sits, the thicker it will get:
And ensure NOT to over-mix the frosting after it’s finished. As a result of it’s going to start to separate:
That was a variety of data for you! Right here is the whole lot damaged down:
6 Success Suggestions for the Finest Salted Caramel Frosting
- Ensure that your stovetop is ready to medium warmth or barely decrease in case your range runs sizzling.
- Whisk the butter and brown sugar collectively FIRST—and ensure the 2 are actually mixed. You can begin combining the 2 with a rubber spatula, however swap to a whisk (I at all times use a silicone whisk so I don’t scratch my pans) when the butter is almost all melted, to ensure the butter and sugar are actually mixed. In any other case, you would possibly see an oily layer across the edges the place they’re nonetheless a bit separated. As soon as they’re mixed, add the cream and salt.
- Use a sweet thermometer for finest outcomes. The time it takes to succeed in 230°F (110°C) might take kind of than 2 minutes, relying in your explicit range and saucepan.
- Let the ready frosting sit for 20-30 to thicken if you wish to pipe it. It’s going to crust a bit because it sits, which is ok—merely give it a stir while you’re prepared to make use of it.
- Don’t over-mix the frosting after it’s finished as a result of it’s going to start to separate. After beating within the sifted confectioners’ sugar and cream, use it instantly or depart it alone to thicken.
- If frosting sits for a pair hours, it turns into too onerous to unfold or pipe. If that occurs, scoop it right into a heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water on the range. Warmth and stir till it thins out. (Or use a double boiler.)
Finest Piping Tip To Use
The very best piping tip for this frosting is a spherical tip corresponding to Wilton 2A or Wilton #12. When you pipe this salted caramel frosting with star ideas, it won’t maintain its form as properly because the frosting is creamy and thinner than buttercream. So, I counsel a easy spherical tip.
End your dessert with a drizzle of salted caramel, the sauce model of immediately’s recipe. As a result of the whole lot is best with further salted caramel.
I promise you’ll by no means run out of excuses to make this salted caramel frosting! Attempt it on these recipes:
- Make the caramel: Mix the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium warmth. With a rubber spatula or wood spoon, stir consistently because the butter melts. As soon as butter has melted, swap to a whisk to ensure the 2 are actually mixed. (In any other case, you would possibly see an oily layer across the edges the place they’re nonetheless a bit separated; you don’t want that.)
- As soon as melted butter and brown sugar are mixed, add 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream and the salt. Whisk to mix, then cease whisking and fasten a sweet thermometer to your pan, ensuring the bulb is just not touching the underside of the pan (as you’ll get an inaccurate studying).
- Let the caramel boil, giving it a fast whisk each 30 seconds or so, till the temperature reaches 230°F (110°C). On my range, it takes just below 2 minutes.
- Take away the saucepan from warmth, give it one other fast whisk, and let cool for a minute. Rigorously switch the salted caramel to a heat-proof mixing bowl set on a cooling rack and funky for simply 20 minutes earlier than persevering with. The caramel sauce thickens throughout this time.
- End the frosting: Sift in confectioners’ sugar and add remaining 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat on medium-low velocity till the components are included. Flip mixer as much as excessive velocity and beat for 1 minute. If frosting could be very thick, beat in 1 extra Tablespoon of heavy cream. Keep away from over-mixing or the frosting will start to “break” and separate.
- Use it instantly as a skinny glaze or icing, or let it sit and thicken. It’s going to crust a bit because it sits, which is ok—merely give it a stir while you’re prepared to make use of it. If you wish to pipe this frosting, let it sit for a minimum of 20–Half-hour earlier than filling your piping bag, to present it an opportunity to thicken as much as a pipeable consistency.
- Frost cake or cupcakes and garnish with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce, if desired.
- Particular Instruments: Sweet Thermometer | Hand Mixer | Silicone Whisk | Glass Mixing Bowls | Piping Bag | Wilton 2A or Wilton #12 piping tip
- Amount: This recipe is sufficient to frost 12–16 cupcakes or one 9×13-quarter sheet cake. 1.5x the recipe for extra cupcakes or a double layer cake. (Doubling the recipe could be far an excessive amount of.)
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream works finest on this recipe, however you should use complete milk or half-and-half if that’s what you will have as a substitute. Nothing lighter or the caramel and/or frosting will separate. I have no idea any nondairy options that work efficiently. When you’re making a visit to the shop, I strongly encourage you to make use of heavy cream.
- Piping Tip: The very best piping tip for this frosting is a spherical tip corresponding to Wilton 2A or Wilton #12. When you pipe this salted caramel frosting with star ideas, it won’t maintain its form as properly because the frosting is creamy and thinner than buttercream. So, I counsel a easy spherical tip.
Key phrases: salted caramel frosting
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.