This roasted root greens recipe is so scrumptious that you’ll be wanting seconds! Recent herbs and a aromatic sage oil pack the veggies with wealthy, earthy taste.
This oven roasted root greens recipe elevates humble carrots, parsnips, turnips, candy potatoes, and beets right into a holiday-worthy facet dish. I do know these unassuming greens won’t be the primary ones you attain for on the farmers market or grocery retailer, however there are such a lot of causes to cook dinner them. They’re nutritious and reasonably priced. They’re colourful, and–better of all–they’re scrumptious.
On this roasted root greens recipe, I chop them into massive chunks and toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and plenty of contemporary herbs. Then, I roast them till they’re tender and caramelized. After they come out of the oven, I drizzle them with a aromatic sage oil, which makes their wealthy, earthy taste that a lot richer and that a lot earthier. And, as a ultimate final touch, I sprinkle them with fried sage leaves, which supply an awesome crispy distinction to the tender roasted veg. You won’t think about your self going again for a second serving to of roasted root greens at a vacation dinner, however do that recipe, and I promise that you’ll.
Roasted Root Greens Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll must make this roasted root greens recipe:
- Root greens, after all! I take advantage of pink beets, golden beets, carrots, parsnips, candy potatoes, and turnips. They fill this straightforward facet dish with daring coloration and candy, earthy, bitter, and nutty flavors.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – You’ll toss some with the veggies to assist them grow to be brown and tender within the oven and use extra to make the infused sage oil.
- Recent herbs – I roast the greens with chopped rosemary, sage, and thyme. I crisp up extra entire sage leaves to make use of as a garnish on the ultimate dish.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Roasted Root Greens Recipe Suggestions
- To peel or to not peel? It’s as much as you! I haven’t indicated whether or not or to not peel the greens within the recipe under, as a result of I feel it’s a matter of non-public desire. After I make this recipe, I usually peel the beets however go away the skins on the opposite root veggies, ensuring to wash them properly earlier than roasting. In case you want, you may peel extra or all the greens. The recipe will come out nice it doesn’t matter what.
- Group the veggies strategically. The roasted greens are prepared when their middles are tender and their outsides are properly browned. However differing types greens gained’t all get so far on the similar time. Because of this, I like to recommend utilizing two baking sheets on this recipe and grouping greens with related cooking instances collectively. Place the beets and carrots on one baking sheet and the candy potatoes, parsnips, and turnips on the opposite. Begin checking the greens after 25 minutes. You’ll seemingly take the pan with the candy potatoes out of the oven properly earlier than you take away the one with the beets.
- Don’t crowd the veggies. One other advantage of utilizing two baking sheets is that you simply’ll have loads of room to unfold out the veggies. In the event that they’re crammed collectively, they’ll steam within the oven, softening with out browning. For the very best browning (aka the very best taste!), be sure that to rearrange the greens in a single layer on every pan.
- Get forward. I like to recommend roasting the foundation greens on the day you intend to serve them, however they’re scrumptious heat or at room temp, so be at liberty to bake them off a couple of hours earlier than your meal. Drizzle them with the sage oil and prime them with the crispy sage leaves simply earlier than serving.
Serve Roasted Root Greens
I developed this roasted veggies recipe with holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas in thoughts, however this wholesome facet dish can be at house at any fall or winter meal. Pair it together with your favourite protein for a satisfying weeknight dinner, or serve it alongside mushroom polenta, stuffed shells, or butternut squash risotto for a comforting weekend feast.
If you’re making this recipe for a vacation meal, it’ll go splendidly with basic facet dishes like these:
Searching for extra vacation facet dish recipes? Take a look at this put up!
Extra Favourite Veggie Facet Dishes
In case you love these roasted root greens, attempt one in every of these veggie facet dishes subsequent:
Roasted Root Greens
Serves 4 to six
These oven roasted root greens are a scrumptious facet dish! I prime the tender, caramelized veggies with a aromatic sage oil and crispy sage leaves for wealthy, earthy depth of taste. We like to serve this recipe as a vacation facet dish, however it might be an awesome addition to any fall or winter meal. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 beets, ideally 1 pink and 1 golden, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 giant carrot, roll reduce into 1-inch chunks
- 3 parsnips, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium candy potato, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 turnip, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon chopped contemporary rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped contemporary sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon contemporary thyme leaves
- Sea salt and freshly floor black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Place the beets and carrots on one baking sheet and the parsnips, candy potato, and turnip on the opposite. Drizzle the greens with olive oil and sprinkle with the rosemary, sage, thyme, pinches of salt, and several other grinds of pepper. Toss to coat and unfold evenly on the baking sheets. Roast for 25 to 50 minutes, or till tender and browned across the edges. The parsnips, candy potato, and turnip will bake for much less time. The beet and carrot will roast longer.
Make the crispy sage: Line a plate with paper towels. Warmth the olive oil in a small saucepan till effervescent, add the sage leaves, stir, and cook dinner till crisp, about 1 minute. Take away the leaves from the oil and switch to the ready plate to empty. Reserve the oil for serving with the greens.
Take away the greens from the oven and toss with 1 tablespoon of the sage oil. Switch to a platter and prime with the crispy sage leaves.