Rasam Powder is the quintessential fragrant spice mix, which is among the main components in a basic South Indian Rasam. This specific tangy, spiced skinny soup is not going to be what it’s, with out the addition of this spice combination. Also called Rasam Podi, this masala mix has about 7 components, that are roasted one after the opposite, and ultimately floor collectively to a high quality powder. There’s no rocket science in getting ready it. Simply observe my recipe to make a strong South Indian spice powder that’ll elevate the flavors of your rasam.
Extra on Rasam Powder
In case you are confused between Rasam Powder and rasam, then let me clear your confusion. Rasam is a bitter soup or broth like beverage made with tamarind, spices, lentils and herbs. Then again, Rasam Powder is a floor spice combine that’s added to the rasam to make it much more flavorful.
Within the Tamil language, Rasam Powder can also be known as Rasam Podi, the place the phrase ‘podi’ means a floor powder. So, in case you come throughout every other spice combine with the suffix podi connected to it, understand it signifies that the combination is within the floor type.
All of the components of my Rasam Powder are simply your primary spices and lentils which might be widespread in any Indian residence kitchen. So, it consists of coriander seeds, chana dal (Bengal gram), tuvar or arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils), black peppercorns, cumin seeds, dried purple chilies and turmeric powder (elective).
Including Rasam Powder imparts extra depths of taste to the rasam, and likewise makes it good and earthy. This masala powder may also be termed as a dry condiment whereas making this typical tangy soupy concoction.
My Rasam Powder recipe is so good that for those who make any rasam with it, it can really style like an genuine South Indian one and never some plain tamarind broth or soup.
Rasam Powder Necessities
Similar to the Garam Masala, which has many variations from area to area in India, there are lots of methods and variations of the Rasam Powder too. Each family has its personal model with totally different proportions.
Nonetheless, a primary Rasam Powder is made with 5 components comprising of 4 spices and 1 lentil:
- Coriander seeds (sabut dhania) – One of many main components which usher in heat and earthy tones.
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – On roasting, cumin seeds give mildly bitter tones.
- Black peppercorns (kali mirch) – Makes the spice combine pungent and sharp.
- Dried purple chilies (sukhi lal mirch) – Crimson chilies not solely give shade, but in addition lend some warmth and spice to the bottom combination.
- Pigeon pea lentils (tuvar dal or arhar dal) – Makes the rasam powder nutty and earthy.
Other than the above components, it’s also possible to add chana dal (husked cut up Bengal gram), fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida (hing) to the recipe of Rasam Powder.
Making Rasam Powder
As I discussed to start with, making Rasam Powder is pretty a straightforward process. There are 2 methods to go about its preparation:
- First methodology is by solar drying the spices.
- Second methodology is by roasting or toasting the spices.
I often discover the second methodology of roasting every ingredient one after the other, higher than the primary one. The roasted spices give aroma to this particular spice combine.
Nonetheless, one factor to bear in mind: everytime you add any roasted masala mix to any recipe, don’t prepare dinner it extra because the flavors get diminished. After including the spice powder to the principle recipe, simply prepare dinner for some minutes. Be sure to not overcook.
One other factor is while you wish to make the Rasam Powder in bulk. You possibly can simply triple or quadruple this exact same recipe. Toast the spices individually. Unfold them on a big tray or a clear cotton fabric, and funky to room temperature. Give the spices to your native grinding mill or flour mill.
The Rasam Podi will probably be scorching or heat after bulk grinding the components by your native mill. Let the bottom powder cool utterly to room temperature. Then, retailer in a big, clear and dry air-tight container.
Take required parts for month-to-month utilization in a small useful jar and hold the big container coated with an air-tight lid in a cool dry place.
Storage and Utilization
My recipe of Rasam Powder will fill a medium-sized jar or container of 200 grams. So, for those who make rasam a few times per week, it can final you for about 3 months. In case you make rasam fairly typically, then the podi will final for a few month.
As I mentioned earlier, you may retailer the Rasam Podi in a clear, dry, air-tight glass jar or metal container in a cool, dry place or within the fridge or freezer.
Add 1 tablespoon of Rasam Powder in any rasam recipe that has a serving of 4 to five. For a extra intense and stronger taste, you may even add 1.5 tablespoons of this Rasam Podi combine.
Methods to make Rasam Powder
Roast Spices, Lentils
1. Maintain all of the spices and lentils prepared earlier than you start. Take a heavy kadai (wok) or a pan and warmth it. Maintain the warmth to a low. Add 1 heaped cup (70 grams) coriander seeds.
2. On low warmth, stirring constantly, roast coriander seeds.
3. Stirring typically, roast coriander seeds until crisp and fragrant. The colour can even change.
4. Maintain the roasted coriander seeds apart on a plate or tray.
5. Now, add 2 tablespoons (30 grams) husked and cut up Bengal gram (chana dal) within the kadai.
6. Stirring constantly, roast chana dal until the colour modifications to a golden.
7. Take away and hold apart on the identical plate.
8. Subsequent, add 5 tablespoons (60 grams) pigeon pea lentils (tuvar dal, tur dal, arhar dal).
9. Stirring typically, roast tuvar dal until golden and fragrant. Take away hold apart.
10. Add 2 tablespoons (20 grams) black peppercorns.
11. Stirring constantly, roast black pepper until fragrant. Take away and hold apart.
12. Then, add 2 tablespoons (15 grams) cumin seeds.
13. Stirring typically, roast cumin seeds until fragrant and the colour modifications. Take away and hold apart.
14. Lastly, add 15 to 16 (20 grams) dried byadagi purple chilies. I’ve damaged the purple chilies and eliminated the seeds. In case you do that methodology, then you will want 1 cup damaged dried purple chilies.
Tip: It’s a good follow to take away the seeds from dried purple chilies earlier than you employ them for cooking.
15. As quickly as you add the purple chilies, shortly stir and start to roast until the colour darkens a bit. Don’t burn them.
16. If the pan has grow to be too scorching, change off the warmth after which proceed to roast. Roast till you see their shade has modified and you are feeling their pungent sharp aroma.
17. Take away roasted purple chilies and hold apart. Let the spices and lentils cool utterly to room temperature earlier than you start to grind them.
Make Rasam Powder
18. Now, add the roasted spices and lentils within the spice grinder, mixer-grinder or blender. Add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder .
19. Grind every little thing to a high quality powder. You possibly can grind in 2 batches after which combine each the batches in a bowl or plate.
20. Spoon the Rasam Powder in a glass jar. Seal with an air-tight lid. Retailer at room temperature in a cool dry place. You possibly can even retailer the Rasam Podi within the fridge or freezer.
21. Use Rasam Powder to make any rasam recipe.
Rasam Powder vs Sambar Powder
Rasam Powder is a floor spice-lentil combine utilized in making rasam which is a spiced, tangy soupy broth like drink. Whereas, sambar powder is a floor spice mix used to make sambar which is a vegetable-lentil stew having a medium to thick consistency, served with rice or idli or dosa.
On the seems of it, comparable spices and lentils are utilized in making each the Rasam Podi and sambar masala, however their proportions fluctuate. Consequently, each have a singular taste and aroma.
Observe: In case you are delicate or allergic to smells, then cowl your mouth and nostril, particularly while you roast black pepper and the dried purple chilies. Whereas roasting spices like these, their pungent and sharp odor may be irritating to the throat and nostril.
Why Home made
Making do-it-yourself Rasam Powder is at all times higher as you may enhance or lower the spice and pungency in accordance with your preferences. For instance, you may add much less black pepper or dried purple chilies.
For dried purple chilies, I’d recommend so as to add chilies that are low in warmth, just like the Kashmiri purple chilies or byadagi purple chilies. Don’t add purple chilies that are excessive in warmth and pungency as these will make the Rasam Podi very spicy and pungent.
I’ve not added fenugreek seeds, however you may add a bit, in order for you. Some curry leaves and asafoetida (hing) may also be added.
Making do-it-yourself spice mixes are positively simpler, cleaner and extra hygienic than those introduced from the market. There are clearly no preservatives, meals colorings, fillers or components added within the ones made at residence.
Home made spice blends or masalas are literally greatest as they’re full of quite a lot of taste and aroma. I often make a lot of the spice blends, in small to medium portions, at residence.
- Spices: When making any spice mix, use contemporary and good high quality spices. In case you purchase or get natural spices, then positively use them. The spices should be crisp, clear with no indicators of mould or fungal development on them.
- Lentils: Use contemporary lentils and never aged ones. Be sure there are not any bugs or mould on the lentils.
- Pungency: Kashmiri purple chilies and byadagi chilies are much less scorching and pungent. So, including these chilies gained’t make your rasam spice combine spicy or pungent. However for those who favor a spicy one, then add a mixture of much less spicy purple chilies and pungent purple chilies. In my recipe, I’ve used byadagi purple chilies.
- Shopping for spices: In India, we are able to simply purchase the spices and lentils domestically. However for those who keep exterior India, then search for these components in an Indian or Asian grocery retailer. Additionally, you will discover these spices, dried purple chilies and lentils, on-line on web sites like Amazon.
- Storage: A glass jar is sweet to retailer floor spice blends. A metal container or a metal jar additionally works properly.
- Scaling: You possibly can simply scale and make the Rasam Podi mix in small or giant portions, in accordance with your wants.
Please be sure you fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Rasam Powder Recipe | Rasam Podi
Rasam powder is a finely floor fragrant spice combine that’s used to make rasam which is a soup spiced tangy drink. This do-it-yourself rasam powder recipe offers you a strong rasam podi that can convey quite a lot of flavors and style into your rasam.
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook dinner Time 12 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Roasting spices and lentils
Maintain all of the spices and lentils prepared earlier than you start. Take a heavy wok or kadai or a frying pan and warmth it. Maintain the warmth to a low.
Add coriander seeds.
On a low warmth stirring constantly roast coriander seeds till they grow to be fragrant. Their shade can even change.
Take away the coriander seeds in a plate or tray.
Now add chana dal in the identical kadai or pan. Stirring constantly roast chana dal till their shade modifications they usually grow to be golden. Put aside.
Add tuvar dal and stirring typically roast the lentils till they grow to be golden and fragrant. Put aside.
Add black pepper and stirring continuous roast these till you get their pungent aroma.
Subsequent add cumin seeds and stirring typically roast them till their shade modifications they usually grow to be fragrant.
Lastly add byadagi purple chilies. I’ve damaged the purple chilies and eliminated the seeds. In case you do that methodology, then you will want 1 cup damaged dry purple chilies.
As quickly as you add dry purple chilies, shortly stir and start to roast them till their shade darkens.
If the pan has grow to be too scorching, then change off the flame and proceed to roast within the scorching pan.
Roast till you see the colour has modified and odor the pungent sharp aroma of purple chilies.
Take away roasted chilies and put aside. Let the spices and lentils cool utterly at room temperature.
Grinding spices and lentils
Then add the spices in a grinder jar or a spice grinder. Add turmeric powder .
Grind to a high quality powder. You possibly can grind in two batches after which combine each the batches of floor rasam powder.
Add the rasam powder in a glass jar. Seal with an hermetic lid. Retailer at room temperature. You possibly can even retailer rasam podi within the fridge or freezer.
Use rasam powder to make any rasam recipe. For a rasam of 4 to five servings, you may add 1 tablespoon of this rasam podi.
Methods to use?My rasam powder weighs 200 grams. In case you make rasam a few times per week, it can final you for about 3 months. Add 1 tablespoon of rasam powder in any rasam recipe that has a serving of 4 to five. For a extra intense, strong, spicy and stronger taste, you may even add 1.5 tablespoons.
Methods to retailer?A glass jar is at all times nice to retailer do-it-yourself spice blends. You possibly can even use an air-tight metal container or a metal jar. The container or jar must be clear and dry. You possibly can retailer rasam podi in a cool dry place or within the fridge or freezer.
- High quality of spices & lentils: Use contemporary, good high quality, crisp, clear and ideally natural spices. Attempt to use contemporary lentils and never aged lentils. There must be no bugs or moulds within the lentils.
- Scaling: You possibly can simply scale and make the rasam spice mix in small or giant portions in accordance with your wants.
- Pungency: Including Kashmiri purple chillies and byadagi chillies gained’t make your rasam powder spicy or pungent as these chillies are much less scorching. In case you favor a spicy rasam powder, then add a mixture of pungent, spicy purple chillies and fewer scorching chillies. I’ve used byadagi purple chillies.
- Shopping for spices: We are able to simply purchase the spices and lentils in India. In case you keep exterior India, then you’ll get these components in an Indian or Asian grocery retailer. You too can discover them on amazon.
- Approximate diet data is for 1 tablespoon of rasam powder.
Rasam Powder Recipe | Rasam Podi
Quantity Per Serving (1 tablespoon rasam powder)
Energy 22 Energy from Fats 9
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 161IU3%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 14µg4%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Rasam Powder recipe submit from the archives, first printed on February 2018 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.