That is one of the best Pet Chow (Muddy Buddies) recipe and it’s SO straightforward to make! Put together to be completely hooked on this addicting chocolate peanut butter deal with. Home made pet chow is the proper occasion snack and it’s an immediate hit throughout the holidays.
Pet chow is one among my all-time favourite occasion snacks. And I promise I’m not speaking about pet food! The pet chow we’re making in the present day is a scrumptious and decadent selfmade sweet loaded with sugary chocolate and peanut butter goodness.
We’re taking Chex cereal, coating it in chocolate and peanut butter, and tossing it in powdered sugar. It’s a bit like dessert Chex Combine, and an entire lot of YUM. I grew up making and consuming pet chow, and it’s at all times been a staple at our home, particularly throughout the holidays.
These of you who’ve had pet chow earlier than already know this is without doubt one of the finest peanut butter treats of all time! And in case you haven’t made it, you’ll LOVE this straightforward recipe.
Why is it Known as Pet Chow?
This festive dessert is named pet chow as a result of, properly, take a look at it. Doesn’t it look an terrible lot like actual pet kibble? That being mentioned, please don’t feed this recipe to your fur infants. This chocolate-loaded pet chow is strictly for pet dad and mom solely!
Pet Chow vs Muddy Buddies
There’s kind of an ongoing debate in regards to the identify of this chocolate-covered cereal deal with. Some folks name it pet chow, whereas others understand it by completely different names: muddy munch, monkey munch, or muddy buddies.
Muddy Buddies is definitely the official identify of the recipe marketed by Common Mills, the maker of Chex cereal. Names like “pet chow” and others have turn out to be layman’s phrases for selfmade variations like this one.
Relying on the vacation and season, you’ll see recipes for Reindeer Chow at Christmas, Bunny Bait at Easter, and even Leprechaun Bait for St. Patrick’s Day. I grew up calling this recipe pet chow, in order that’s what we’re going with in the present day. No matter you name it, it’s going to at all times be scrumptious!
What You’ll Want
Should you want a straightforward deal with to take to a celebration, this pet chow is a success! The components are easy and I can nearly assure that the entire batch shall be passed by the top of the night time.
You’ll want the next components to make an enormous bowl of pet chow. Make sure you seek advice from the recipe card for the complete particulars:
- Rice Chex Cereal – Chex Cereal is the traditional ingredient in pet chow. You need to use Corn Chex cereal, I simply favor the rice cereal taste. Crispix can even work, the form of your pet chow will simply be a bit of completely different from the pictures.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter – Suppose JIF or Skippy for this pet chow recipe! I extremely suggest utilizing creamy peanut butter and never pure peanut butter. Pure peanut butter has extra oils and the pet chow coating gained’t arrange correctly.
- Butter – I have a tendency to make use of unsalted butter. Nonetheless, in order for you a bit of salty kick, salted butter works too.
- Vanilla Extract – Just a little vanilla extract goes a great distance when it comes to taste!
- Powdered Sugar – a.okay.a. Confectioners’ sugar. Powdered sugar offers the pet chow the proper candy end, together with its signature sugar-dusted look.
Straightforward, proper? Fortunately, these widespread components are nearly at all times available in my pantry. So I could make pet chow anytime and all the time, clearly.
Easy methods to Make Pet Chow
Did I point out that pet chow is a no-bake dessert? That’s simply another reason to like it. Your fingers shall be lined with powdered sugar by the top of it and also you’ll be buzzing from the smells of peanut butter and chocolate! Probably not a foul factor.
Right here’s learn how to whip up an enormous batch of pet chow very quickly:
- Put together your chocolate and peanut butter combination. Use a medium, microwave-safe bowl to soften the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter collectively. Begin with 1 minute on excessive, stir, and warmth once more in bursts, stirring in between till the combination is easy. Lastly, add within the vanilla extract.
- Place your Chex Cereal in a big bowl. You will want six cups of Rice Chex. Lots of recipes I’ve seen name for 9 cups, however a pal as soon as taught me that six is the magic quantity. It actually maximizes the chocolate peanut butter taste. I’m formally transformed!
- Pour the chocolate peanut butter combination over the cereal. Stir the combination GENTLY with a spatula, ensuring to not crush the cereal. You need it to remain in complete, grabbable items! When the cereal is evenly coated, switch it to a big Ziploc bag.
- Add the powdered sugar. You will want 1½ to 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar, relying on how well-coated you want your pet chow. Ensure that to seal the bag earlier than you give it shake! Youngsters love serving to with this half. Shake your chow till all the cereal is evenly coated in white.
- Pour the pet chow out onto an enormous piece of parchment paper. Or wax paper. Unfold the pet chow in a single layer so it may possibly cool with out sticking collectively. Let it sit till the chocolate is totally hardened. To hurry up the method, you too can unfold it out on a tray and pop it into the fridge.
Suggestions and Variation Concepts
A couple of suggestions for making one of the best pet chow, a.okay.a. Muddy buddies:
- Don’t overmix. Not solely does overmixing run the danger of crushing the Chex cereal, however you additionally need to be left with the occasional indulgent clump of chocolate and peanut buttery cereal!
- Don’t go straightforward with powdered sugar. In some dessert recipes, much less is extra. This isn’t a kind of. Be sure you actually get every part well-coated in powdered sugar. You could want so as to add greater than you assume!
- Make s’mores pet chow. Should you’re trying to change issues up, I’ve a completely superb recipe for s’mores pet chow so that you can attempt. It brings Graham crackers, mini marshmallows, and chunks of chocolate into the combo, and the outcomes are DELICIOUS.
- Add coconut. Attempt chocolate coconut Chex Combine for one more variation of pet chow, made with Chex cereal coated in chocolate and shredded coconut.
Let’s reply a number of FAQs about pet chow:
Saved hermetic, selfmade pet chow will keep recent at room temperature for as much as 2 weeks. Then once more, if yours lasts that lengthy with out being devoured, you significantly deserve a medal! See beneath for extra tips about learn how to correctly retailer your pet chow.
For allergy-friendly, peanut butter-free pet chow, the peanut butter on this recipe might be substituted with one other number of nut or seed butter. Good options are cashew butter, almond butter, soy butter, or sunflower seed butter (like SunButter).
Sure! Pet chow’s lengthy shelf life makes it good to make forward, to have available for multiple event. I like to make big batches throughout the holidays because of this. Countless on-hand occasion snacks and gifting, all season lengthy!
Easy methods to Retailer
As soon as the pet chow is cool and hardened, retailer it in a big hermetic container on the counter for as much as 2 weeks. You can too hold pet chow within the fridge in case your kitchen is very hot, to stop the chocolate from sticking.
Pet chow can be fabulous for gifting. Retailer it in ornamental Christmas tins or luggage to offer to pals, household, and neighbors for the vacations. I’ve by no means met anybody who isn’t thrilled to obtain a present of chocolatey selfmade sweet!
Can I Freeze It?
Sure! Stash a batch of pet chow within the freezer for straightforward thawing at any time when the event requires it. Retailer it in a freezer-safe, hermetic container or freezer bag, and hold it frozen for as much as 2 months. Make an enormous batch at Halloween, and also you’ll be well-stocked till Christmas!
Candy and sugary, selfmade Pet Chow is simple to make and SO addicting. This recipe for chocolate peanut butter-coated Chex cereal is an ideal occasion snack, particularly on the holidays!
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 ½ to 2 cups powdered sugar
Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a medium microwave secure bowl. Microwave on excessive for 1 minute. Take away the bowl from the microwave and stir. Put the bowl again into the microwave and warmth for an extra 30 seconds or till combination is easy when stirred. Add the vanilla extract and stir once more.
Pour the cereal in a big mixing bowl. Add the chocolate peanut butter combination and gently stir till cereal is evenly coated. Pour the coated cereal into a big Ziploc bag. Add the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake till the cereal is properly coated. Unfold on parchment paper or waxed paper. Let sit till cool and chocolate is about.
Retailer the pet chow in an hermetic container for as much as 2 weeks. Whether it is heat in your kitchen, retailer the pet chow within the fridge.
Energy: 161kcal, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 3g, Fats: 10g, Saturated Fats: 4g, Ldl cholesterol: 7mg, Sodium: 112mg, Potassium: 123mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 415IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 43mg, Iron: 3.8mg
Have you ever tried this recipe?
Go away a remark beneath and share a photograph on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod
Extra Social gathering Meals Concepts