Mirchi ka Salan is a spiced, creamy, tangy, earthy, tongue-tickling preparation made with inexperienced chillies in a gravy base of nuts, seeds, aromatics and tamarind. It’s a well-known curry from the Hyderabadi delicacies. Primarily made with inexperienced chilli peppers (a.okay.a hari mirchi in Hindi), this dish is a must have with a Biryani in Hyderabad. The Mirchi ka Salan recipe (additionally known as Biryani Salan) could have fairly just a few steps in its preparation, however is in any other case a easy one. The daring flavors are certainly to blow your thoughts away!
‘Salan’ is an Urdu time period for ‘curry’ and ‘mirchi’ interprets to chilli. Therefore, the identify. Not simply chilies, however a salan will also be made of assorted different greens like tomatoes, eggplant, and so forth. As an illustration, I’ve additionally shared this Bhindi ka Salan that’s simply as superior.
Aside from being the most effective buddy to a Hyderabadi biryani, the Mirchi ka Salan can also be a conventional dish made throughout particular events and even weddings in Hyderabadi tradition.
Mirchi ka Salan recipe has inexperienced chilies cooked in a floor combination of spices, peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut. The dish has a wealthy nutty taste and a nice grainy texture due to these components.
About Mirchi Ka Salan
Throughout my journeys to the royal metropolis of Hyderabad, I’ve had many alternatives of savoring Mirchi ka Salan. A lot of the occasions once I would order a veg biryani within the eating places there, it will all the time be accompanied by a salan and raita.
Since then, the flavors of the Mirchi ka Salan have stayed on my palate and recreating the essence at my house was the necessity of the hour.
This recipe was additionally developed due to a particular request that I acquired from one in every of my readers. I can say this can be a actually good recipe and you could do that one.
What makes the Mirchi ka Salan distinctive from different curries is:
- It’s made with inexperienced chilies. In any other case, there are hardly any curry/gravy dishes made wholly with chilies in it.
- The masala paste in it’s made with healthful components like sesame seeds, coconut and peanuts. Which in flip make it a more healthy alternative.
- The fantastic thing about the masala paste is that it tones down the fieriness of the inexperienced chilies within the curry and pack an additional punch as properly.
I’ve additionally added frivolously browned onions within the paste which give a very nice rustic contact. As soon as floor to a paste, it’s then cooked in a typical approach with tamarind water after which simmered with frivolously fried inexperienced chilies.
All this ends in a beautiful, zingy, clean Mirchi ka Salan which fits exceptionally properly with the biryani together with common steamed rice, veg pulao, jeera rice or any Indian flatbread.
Find out how to make Mirchi Ka Salan
Put together Masala Paste
1. Measure and hold all of the components prepared for making the masala paste.
2. In a pan, warmth 1 tablespoon oil. Add ⅓ cup sliced onions (about 1 medium-sized onion, sliced) and sauté until frivolously browned on medium-low warmth.
3. Add ¼ cup desiccated unsweetened coconut.
4. Roast stirring typically on a low warmth until desiccated coconut is frivolously golden.
5. Later, add ¼ cup roasted peanuts and 1.5 tablespoons sesame seeds to this combination.
6. Roast for 1 to 2 minutes on low warmth.
7. Now, take the roasted combination together with 2 to three garlic cloves (chopped) and 1 inch ginger (roughly chopped) in a blender jar.
8. Subsequent, add ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
9. Add ½ cup water or as required.
10. Mix the components to a nice and clean paste.
11. Add 1 tablespoon tamarind in ⅓ cup scorching water and hold apart for about 20 to half-hour.
When the tamarind has softened, squeeze the pulp from it within the soaked water. Set the tamarind water apart.
Prep Inexperienced Chilies
12. Rinse 10 to 12 inexperienced chilies a few occasions in water. I’ve used inexperienced chilies which aren’t of the new selection.
Attempt to use chillies that aren’t spicy or pungent. You may additionally use the bigger and larger sized chillies that’s used to make Mirchi Bajji.
For those who plan to make the recipe with the large-sized chillies, add 5 to six of them.
13. Wipe them dry with a kitchen serviette or material.
14. Take away the chili crowns or you too can hold them intact.
15. Slit the chilies vertically, however don’t break them.
Fry Chillies or Mirchi
16. Warmth about 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add the slit inexperienced chilies.
18. Fry the chilies until frivolously browned from each side stirring as wanted till you see a some golden blisters on them.
19. Take away the inexperienced chillies and place them on kitchen paper towels.
Make Mirchi Ka Salan
20. Now, in the identical pan, add 2 tablespoons oil. Fry ½ teaspoon mustard seeds until they pop and crackle.
21. Then, add ½ teaspoon onion seeds or nigella seeds (kalonji) and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
22. Add 8 to 10 curry leaves and fry for a minute.
23. Subsequent, add the bottom masala paste.
24. Stir and blend very properly.
25. Maintain stirring repeatedly on low warmth. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes or extra until the oil floats on the highest and sides of the masala.
26. Squeeze the tamarind and add the tamarind water together with 1.5 or 2 cups water.
27. Combine very properly.
28. Stir and simmer for five minutes.
29. Add fried inexperienced chilies.
30. Subsequent, add salt as required.
31. Simmer for five to six minutes extra.
32. Garnish with 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves.
33. Serve Mirchi Ka Salan scorching with Hyderabadi veg biryani, plain steamed rice or any Indian flatbread.
- Maintain a test on the curry, it thickens whereas cooking. So, add extra water if required.
- To take away the hotness from the chilies, discard the seeds from the chilies. Additionally, for a much less spicy dish, it’s higher to make use of a milder number of chilies. You too can use a mixture of spicier chillies and gentle ones for a barely spicy tasting curry.
- For those who add the warmer number of chilies, your curry will develop into very spicy. So, keep away from making this recipe with further fiery inexperienced chilies.
- Use solely contemporary peanuts for the masala paste on this Mirchi ka Salan recipe. Rancid peanuts will spoil the style of the curry. Additionally do use roasted peanuts. Prep by roasting peanuts in a frying pan or within the oven till crunchy.
- For those who don’t wish to add chilies to the curry, you may add different greens of your alternative in it.
- You possibly can retailer the leftover Mirchi ka Salan for about 1 to 2 days within the fridge.
Salan or salana principally means a curry.
The Mirchi ka Salan stays good for about 1 to 2 days, if refrigerated.
A conventional Mirchi ka Salan is a specialty of Hyderabadi delicacies. Nonetheless, there are numerous variations of this dish which can be made by completely different individuals throughout India.
Mirchi ka Salan tastes actually good with any Indian flatbread like roti, naan, plain paratha in addition to plain steamed rice.
You possibly can dry roast the onions. If you’d like, you too can fry the onions in much less oil.
You possibly can take away the seeds of the chilies to cut back the spice stage within the curry. You too can use a milder number of chili for this Mirchi ka Salan.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe | Biryani Salan
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making ready masala paste
In a pan add 1 tablespoon oil.
Add sliced onions. Stirring typically sauté onions till frivolously browned.
Subsequent add the desiccated coconut. Combine and sauté till the coconut turns mild golden.
Later, add roasted peanuts and sesame seeds to this combination and roast for 1 to 2 minutes on low warmth
Make a clean paste of the above roasted combination with garlic cloves, ginger and all the bottom spice powders with ½ cup water.
Make tamarind water
In a small bowl, soak tamarind with ⅓ cup scorching water for 20 to half-hour.
When the tamarind has softened, squeeze the tamarind pulp within the water within the bowl. Maintain the tamarind water apart.
Making ready inexperienced chillies
Take away the inexperienced chilli crowns or you too can hold them intact.
Rinse and wipe dry the inexperienced chillies.
Slit the chillies vertically, however don’t break them. You possibly can decide to take away the seeds from the chillies in the event you want.
Warmth about 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Fry the chillies frivolously till you see some blisters on them.
Take away and drain on kitchen paper towels.
Making mirchi ka salan
Now, in the identical pan add 2 tablespoons oil. Fry the mustard seeds on low warmth until they crackle.
Then, add nigella seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry for a minute.
Add the bottom masala paste. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on low to medium-low warmth or until the oil floats on the highest and sides of the masala.
Now, add tamarind pulp and 1.5 or 2 cups water. Stir to mix. Simmer for five minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
Add fried inexperienced chilies, salt and simmer for five to six minutes extra.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve Mirchi Ka Salan scorching with veg biryani, plain steamed rice or any Indian flatbread.
- To make a much less spicy dish, use milder number of chilies. You may additionally use a mixture of scorching chillies and the gentle ones to make a barely spicy curry.
- If make the curry with the warmer number of chilies, it’s going to develop into very spicy. So, keep away from making this recipe with further fiery and scorching inexperienced chilies.
- Choose to take away and discard the seeds from the chilies in the event you want.
- Do give a slit or reduce to the chillies earlier than frivolously frying them.
- Use solely contemporary peanuts for the masala paste within the salan recipe. Rancid peanuts will spoil the style. Bear in mind to make use of roasted peanuts. You possibly can roast peanuts in a frying pan or within the oven till crunchy.
- Skip nigella seeds, in the event you would not have them.
- You may additionally make the curry with greens of your alternative as a substitute of inexperienced chillies.
- Any leftover Mirchi ka Salan will be saved for about 1 to 2 days within the fridge.
Mirchi Ka Salan Recipe | Biryani Salan
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 315 Energy from Fats 243
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 6g38%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 18g
Vitamin A 155IU3%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.1mg7%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.05mg3%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 25mg125%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 55mg67%
Vitamin E 8mg53%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 251µg63%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Mirchi ka Salan recipe from the archives first revealed in October 2012 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.