Khus Syrup recipe with step-by-step photographs. Right here’s a aromatic summer season cooling drink produced from khus or vetiver (vetiveria zizanioides). I take you thru the strategies of creating a home made Khus Sharbat with the dried roots of this herb – that may be refrigerated for just a few months and loved as a cool refreshing drink anytime.
Khus is superbly aromatic cooling herb. The roots of those perennial grasses have a beautiful woody aroma. The aroma is harking back to sandalwood. Although not like sandalwood, however in its subtlety like sandalwood.
Many people get confused between khus and khus khus. Whereas khus is a aromatic grassy plant much like that of lemon grass and citronella. Khus khus are poppy seeds. Each are completely different and never associated in any manner.
Poppy seeds are obtained from the opium poppy plant. Khus is usually referred to as as vetiver and has medicinal, culinary and perfumery makes use of.
I’ve truly had khus sherbets and drinks many instances in my childhood. We’d purchase the prepared made syrup and so they used to have a darkish inexperienced coloration.
I’d at all times marvel why the inexperienced coloration. Is that this khus having such a deep inexperienced coloration that it will get transferred even within the syrup? After all a lot later I got here to know that the inexperienced coloration is just not pure however synthetic coloration. After that I by no means introduced khus syrup.
I’m into Ayurvedic studying and cooking today. So I got here throughout some herbs utilized in Ayurveda which are wonderful to heal the doshas (vata, pitta and kapha).
Khus was certainly one of them. I already knew its cooling properties however didn’t know its different therapeutic attributes (have talked about the therapeutic advantages beneath).
So I went to an ayurvedic store and acquired the khus and after I noticed them, I used to be amazed. They have been dried roots. An entire bunch of dried roots was given to me and all rolled up properly.
Under a photograph of the dried khus roots. Even in its dried kind, the khus was splendidly aromatic.
I made this khus syrup greater than every week in the past and we used to have the aromatic cooling khus sherbet or drink on a regular basis, to maintain our techniques cool.
Immediately I once more went to the ayurvedic store and once more acquired a number of stuff together with khus roots. Sandalwood powder was certainly one of them and I’ve additionally shared making home made Sandalwood Syrup.
I learn the strategy on the way to make the syrup in an ayurvedic ebook and roughly adopted it. Modified the proportions to go well with with the quantity of khus I had.
To make the syrup, I’ve used natural unrefined cane sugar. I’ve not used processed or bleached sugar.
You may simply purchase natural unrefined cane sugar or uncooked sugar within the natural part in tremendous shops. You should buy the khus roots in an ayurvedic store.
The method of cleansing and chopping the khus roots takes a little bit of effort initially. However later its straightforward to arrange the syrup.
I used 60 gms of khus roots and the entire recipe yielded 1 litre of khus syrup. refrigerate and use the syrup inside 15 to twenty days as no preservative is added. This khus syrup recipe can be with none synthetic inexperienced coloration.
Truly having such therapeutic and cooling syrups are a lot significantly better than having processed aerated gentle drinks. One other good choice to preserve your self cool is to have buttermilk based mostly drinks like Chaas.
1. Relieves thirst and burning sensations.
2. Purifies and invigorates the blood, pores and skin and genitourinary tract.
3. Strengthens the digestive hearth and calms each vomiting and diarrhea.
4. Incense or important oil of khus, cools the thoughts and improves focus. It additionally calms the nervous system.
5. Khus can be used to deal with boils, fever, pores and skin rashes resulting from warmth or aggravated Pitta. (supply ebook – “Ayurveda for Girls” by Dr Robert Svoboda.)
The best way to make Khus Sharbat
1. First separate the dried khus roots barely if you happen to can. Rinse the khus roots very effectively in operating water.
There is likely to be mud particles or tiny stones on the roots. So rinse them very effectively. Drain the water.
2. Now chop the khus roots with clear kitchen scissors.
3. Soak the roots in water for about 8 to 9 hours or in a single day at room temperature.
Make Khus Syrup
4. After 8 hours, pressure this answer of the soaked khus and water and acquire the filtrate answer or extract in a bowl or pan.
Squeeze the chopped soaked roots so that each one the water is drained. Then discard the khus roots.
5. Add sugar to this khus extract and stir effectively.
6. Hold this strained extract answer on the range prime. Stir in order that the sugar will get dissolved. Let the answer come to a boil. As soon as it involves a boil, let the boiling proceed for about 5 to six minutes.
The syrup must be sticky to the touch however not of any thread consistency. If you would like, you may make a ½ thread syrup additionally. However I didn’t.
Only a barely thick and sticky syrup was wonderful with me. Nevertheless a ½ thread syrup can have an extended shelf life.
7. Now pressure the new khus syrup instantly in a clear canning glass jar or bottle. We’re straining it once more to take away the sugar impurities. Shut the lid of the jar instantly.
Let the khus syrup cool. As soon as the jar or bottle has cooled, preserve the khus syrup within the fridge.
8. Whereas serving khus syrup relying upon your style, you possibly can dissolve ¼ or ⅓ a part of the syrup with plain water or chilled water. Stir very effectively and serve the khus sherbet instantly.
In case you are searching for extra drinks then do test:
Please remember to charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Khus Syrup | Khus Sharbat Recipe
Khus Syrup or Khus Sharbat is a cooling and aromatic summer season drink produced from dried khus grass roots or vetiver. This home made recipe doesn’t comprise any artificial colours and preservatives.
Prep Time 12 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 37 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First separate the roots if you happen to can.
Rinse the roots very effectively in water to take away any mud or tiny stone particles.
Chop the roots with the kitchen scissor. Soak for 8 hours in water or in a single day.
Pressure by a juice strainer and acquire the extract.
Making khus syrup
Add sugar to the extract and stir.
Hold the khus extract on the stovetop and carry on stirring in order that the sugar dissolves.
As soon as the answer begins boiling, proceed cooking for some extra minutes. The syrup must be sticky or could be of ½ thread consistency.
Filter the new syrup instantly in a clear glass jar or you possibly can filter in a bowl or pan after which pour the syrup in a clear sterilized jar or bottle.
Instantly cowl tightly with the lid and let it cool at room temperature.
As soon as cooled, refrigerate the khus syrup.
Dissolve ¼ or ⅓ a part of the khus syrup with water (at room temperature or chilly) and your khus sharbat or drink is prepared.
- The recipe could be scaled all the way down to make a small portion of the syrup.
- Dried khus roots could be sourced from an Ayurvedic retailer or on-line.
This Khus Syrup recipe put up from the archives, first revealed in Could 2014 has been up to date and republished on November 2022.