Put aside the boxed oatmeal cookie. These iced oatmeal cookies are one of the best copycat Mom’s Cookies made with a cheeky vacation twist.
Some cookies make me really feel 3 toes tall – most likely as a result of that’s how previous I used to be after I’d stand on my tippy toes to succeed in for them on the excessive shelf of the kitchen cabinet the place my mother and father would tuck away particular treats. Tucked again on that shelf I’d discover a field of Mom’s English Tea Cookies (an underrated and superior sandwich cookie) or a tray of Mom’s Iced Oatmeal Cookies which, with it’s speckled frosting, was my desire particularly in the event that they have been barely stale and smooth.
Most store-bought cookies ought to keep store-bought cookies as a result of they’re excellent of their nostalgia, ease, and skill to eat by the row (ahem… OREOS). However these iced oatmeal cookies skyrocket in appeal when constituted of scratch. They bake up crisp across the edges, with essentially the most pretty chew by means of the middle. And we are able to play with the glaze based on the season. This December, I’m spiritually obligated to present these cinnamon spiced cookies an eggnog twist and I LOVE IT.
Get in right here with me. These are a *cooks kiss* cozy basic!
Listed below are the elements you’ll have to make these Eggnog Iced Oatmeal Cookies:
• quaint rolled oats
• brown sugar, although if all you will have is granulated sugar, right here’s how one can make brown sugar from scratch
• all-purpose flour
• kosher salt
• baking soda and baking powder
• floor cinnamon and floor nutmeg
• unsalted butter
• one giant egg separated into yolk and white
• powdered sugar
• vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
• eggnog (or water for those who’re making these outdoors of the vacation season)
As an alternative of a mixer to carry this cookie dough collectively, we’ll use the bowl of a meals processor fitted with the metallic blade.
We’re on the lookout for texture right here, babes. Grind old school oats into a rough flour. This would be the base to those healthful, chewy, crisp cookies.
Can you utilize fast cooking oats as an alternative of old school oats in these iced oatmeal cookies?
In a pinch. Old style oats have the physique you want from the grain. Fast cooking oats don’t have the physique but when that’s all you will have within the pantry, throw them within the meals processor and mix till simply coarse.
After grinding the oats to a rough powder, add the remaining dry elements – brown sugar, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and an excellent sprint of cinnamon and nutmeg. Whirl to mix.
Add room temperature cubes of butter and whirl right into a sandy combination earlier than including an egg yolk.
The cookie dough can be cohesive although a little bit shaggy popping out of the meals processor. Tumble it onto a chunk of plastic wrap of waxed paper and press and roll right into a log – about 10-inches lengthy and 1 1/2-inches huge. Refrigerate the dough for 3 hours or in a single day.
Fairly than utilizing a cookie scoop, we’ll slice the dough into 1/4-inch cash. Press and spherical out any flat edges to make spherical cookies. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use my fave Goldtouch baking sheets from Williams Sonoma as a result of they’re tremendous nonstick and the cookies simply slide proper off.
Bake within the oven till the cookies are unfold and golden across the edges. Gently take away the cookies to chill on a wire rack earlier than glazing.
Whereas the cookies cool we’ll make the eggnog glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively an egg white, powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste (as a result of it’s speckled with seeds and beautiful) or vanilla extract. Add a number of tablespoons of eggnog to succeed in the proper thick however drippy consistency.
Gently dip every cooled cookie into the glaze. Only a kiss will give the cookies it’s speckled, floor of the moon look.
Earlier than the glaze dries, sprinkle with floor nutmeg as a result of what we love about eggnog is definitely the nutmeg!
This oatmeal cookie recipe is value printing, doubling and maintaining shut. They’re instantaneous favorites, simply as Mom supposed.
For The Cookie Dough:
For the Icing:
- Within the bowl of a meals processor fitted with a metallic blade, grind the oats to a flour. Add the brown sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and course of briefly to mix. Toss within the butter cubes and course of till the butter is properly integrated and the dough begins to clump and pull off the perimeters of the bowl. Add the egg yolk and pulse till the dough comes along with no dry pockets.
- Line a piece floor with a big sheet of plastic wrap. Prove the dough onto the plastic wrap and type it right into a log about 10-inches/25cm lengthy and 1 1/2 inches/3.8 in diameter. Wrap the dough tightly. Chill the dough till agency, about 3 hours within the fridge.
- Place a rack to the middle of the oven and preheat it to 350 levels F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a skinny, sharp knife to slice the dough log into 2 dozen rounds, every simply shy of 1/2-inch/1.25 cm thick. Switch the rounds, evenly spaced about 2 inches/5cm aside, to the ready baking sheets. Bake till golden and agency on the perimeters with a little bit of give within the facilities, about 12 minutes. Switch the cookies to a wire rack to chill fully—they may really feel smooth however will crisp throughout as they cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg white, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt. Combine with a handheld electrical mixer till clean and thick. (Alternatively, you would additionally do that in a stand-up mixer or in a medium bowl by hand.) Mix in 1 teaspoon of eggnog till clean, including a bit extra as needed. To ice the cookies, working 1 at a time, kiss the tops frivolously to the floor of the icing—you wish to simply present the cookie to the icing, not submerge it.
- Let the surplus icing drip off for a second, after which set the iced cookie on a wire rack. Earlier than the icing on the cookie units, sprinkle with a pinch or two of floor nutmeg. If the icing within the bowl begins to agency whilst you’re dipping, loosen it with a number of drops of water. Enable the icing to dry fully earlier than serving, about 1 hour.
- Retailer in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.