Right here’s a dish that’s as attention-grabbing in its flavors as is in its identify – Dukkah. It historically belongs to the Egyptian delicacies and likewise is part of different Center Japanese cuisines. The Dukkah Recipe is an excellent simple, easy, fast and attractive condiment made with nuts, seeds and spices. Because it doesn’t have any fat added to it and there’s solely the pure fat from the nuts and seeds on this floor combination, it’s also a nutritious meals selection. Additionally it is often known as duqqa/dukka, doa or duah.
Dukkah or Duqqa is mainly an Egyptian condiment with nuts, seeds, spices and herbs as its main elements. All elements are dry roasted, then put in a meals processor or a mixer-grinder together with seasonings (often sea salt) and floor to a rough combination.
Dukkah Recipe is actually made to be served as a dip with a mix of crusty bread or contemporary vegetable crudités as a snack. Historically, the bread or veggies are first dipped in olive oil after which within the duqqa. This will also be served as a starter.
The phrase Dukkah has its origin within the Arabic language, a phrase which implies ‘to pound.’ Actually, the best way this delicacy is ready explains this affiliation.
So, not simply within the Egyptian meals tradition, it’s also common in different Center Japanese and Arabic cuisines. Within the area of Hejaz in Saudi Arabia, it has been a speciality since ages.
There is no such thing as a exact composition for probably the most authentic Dukkah Recipe. Because the spice-seed-nut combination varies from individual to individual. Every household has their very own signature recipe to it.
Among the commonest elements that go on this dish are coriander seeds, sesame seeds, zaatar, black peppercorns, cumin seeds, hazelnuts, almonds, pine nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Some variations may have chickpeas and mint in them.
Extra on Dukkah Recipe
The Dukkah recipe was first shared with me by an Australian colleague who had make it for us on just a few events. He had additionally informed me how this condiment could be very common even in Australia in addition to in the US too.
At dwelling, we use the Dukkah on toasted wheat bread drizzled with some olive oil and likewise on salad and rice. It actually enhances the flavour of the meals and makes it ultra-yummy.
Typically, hazelnuts are the popular selection of nuts in a traditional Dukkah Recipe. However different nuts, like almonds, pistachios, pinenuts, walnuts or perhaps a mixture of them, can be utilized to make it. In my recipe, I’ve used almonds.
Sesame seeds are additionally necessary in a Dukkah Recipe. However together with sesame seeds, you may as well add seeds like sunflower seeds, melon seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds or a mix of all these seeds. I’ve added solely sesame seeds in my recipe.
Keep in mind when you use flax seeds, then you must hold the Dukkah within the freezer and use it in per week’s time, as later the flax seeds get rancid. I typically make one other wholesome mix utilizing sesame seeds and flax seeds.
For the spices, I’ve added coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and black peppers in my recipe. Seasoning could be executed finest with sea salt. However when you don’t have it, you may add common salt too.
The best way to make Dukkah
1. Take 1 cup almonds and roast them in a frying pan or a skillet (on medium-low to medium warmth) till they turn out to be crunchy. Put aside in a plate.
You possibly can decide to toast the almonds within the oven when you want. Layer them in a single layer on a baking tray/baking sheet and toast in a pre-heated oven at 180 levels C/356 levels F for 10 to 12 minutes or as wanted till the almonds look toasted and have a crunchy texture.
2. In the identical pan, begin roasting ½ cup white sesame seeds on a low to medium-low warmth.
3. Roast the sesame seeds until they pop and alter shade. Stir usually in order that the seeds don’t burn or get browned. Take away from the pan and put aside.
4. In the identical pan, roast 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, ½ tablespoon fennel seeds, 2 tablespoons cumin seeds and ½ teaspoon black peppercorns until aromatic. Put aside.
Let these toasted or roasted nuts, seeds and spices cool at room temperature. Be sure that they’re fully cooled earlier than you course of them or else they will turn out to be pasty.
5. Now firstly, in a coffee-grinder or a mixer-grinder or a meals processor, course of or grind the roasted almonds utilizing the heart beat choice, to a rough combination with small chunks of almonds.
Don’t course of the almonds for too lengthy or else you’re going to get almond butter.
6. Subsequent, add all the opposite roasted entire spices to the meals processor or mixer-grinder or coffee-grinder.
7. Add common salt or sea salt as per style.
8. Course of or grind the spices and the already floor almonds collectively utilizing the heart beat choice or until the specified stage of coarseness is achieved. It’s a must to course of till you get a rough sand-like texture.
Don’t course of an excessive amount of and make the combination superfine or pasty.
9. Switch to a clear air-tight jar and retailer within the fridge. Serve Dukkah as wanted along with your meals.
- Cool all of the elements after they’ve been roasted. When you put them sizzling or heat within the grinder jar, then as a consequence of moisture, they will clog to one another and turn out to be paste like.
- Be sure that the nuts, seeds haven’t gone rancid and inside their shelf life. Don’t use pre-roasted or toasted and salted nuts or seeds
- To extend the spice stage on this dish, you may add some extra dried purple chilies and even purple chili flakes.
- As I discussed earlier, some Dukkah recipes have additionally zaatar, marjoram, chickpeas and mint added in it. Including dried mint will impart a cool aromatic taste to the duqqa.
- Discover with totally different sorts of seeds, nuts and spices, and create the fusions and flavors you want.
- You possibly can season the duqqa both with sea salt or common salt.
Please remember to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Dukkah Recipe (Egyptian Nut and Spice Mix)
Dukkah is an easy, fast, wholesome and scrumptious condiment of a nuts, seeds and spices mix from the Egyptian Delicacies. Additionally it is often known as duqqa/dukka, doa or duah.
Prep Time 0 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a frying pan or skillet, roast the almonds on medium-low to medium warmth till they’re frivolously browned. Switch to a plate and put aside.
Roast the sesame seeds in the identical pan on low to medium-low warmth until they pop and their shade modifications. Put aside.
Roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black peppercorns until they odor aromatic. Put aside.
Let the roasted/toasted nuts and seeds cool fully at room temperature.
As soon as cooled, switch them to a meals processor, coffee-grinder or a mixer-grinder.
Course of or grind utilizing the heart beat choice till you get the specified stage of mix, barely coarse or semi-fine.
You may as well decide to course of or grind the almonds first after which the sesame seeds and spices like I’ve executed within the step-by-step pictorial above.
Take away in an air-tight jar. Retailer Dukkah within the fridge. It retains properly for about 2 weeks. You may as well freeze for an extended shelf life.
- To extend the spiciness, you may add some extra dry purple chilies and even purple chili flakes.
- Including dry mint will give a aromatic coolness to the duqqa.
- Some dukkah recipes have additionally marjoram, zaatar and chickpeas added in it. You possibly can select so as to add these when you like.
- Cool all of the elements after they’ve been roasted. When you put them sizzling or heat within the grinder, then as a consequence of moisture they clog to one another and turn out to be paste like.
- Discover with the seeds, nuts and spices and create the fusions and flavors you want.
- Observe that the approximate diet data is for the complete portion of Dukkah comprised of this recipe.
Dukkah Recipe (Egyptian Nut and Spice Mix)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 1348 Energy from Fats 1026
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 11g69%
Trans Fats 0.02g
Polyunsaturated Fats 35g
Monounsaturated Fats 63g
Vitamin A 177IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 2mg118%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 10mg50%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 4mg5%
Vitamin E 37mg247%
Vitamin Okay 4µg4%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 137µg34%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Dukkah recipe from the archives first revealed on September 2011 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.