It is a tall, towering confetti birthday cake crammed to the brim with rainbow sprinkles and completed off with candy vanilla buttercream frosting. It’s basic and party-perfect in each approach! The recipe has lived on my web site since 2014 and has develop into a well-liked favourite, even scoring #1 (out of 9!) in a sprinkle cake bake-off. Under you’ll discover my detailed recipe, video, and greatest success ideas.
Similar to Field Funfetti Cake
This thick, plush confetti birthday cake is full of the flavors of childhood celebration nostalgia–butter, vanilla, sugar, and rainbow sprinkles. Shut your eyes and you may virtually hear the sound of balloons being blown up and scent the extinguished birthday candles. However this cake shouldn’t be restricted to birthday events–or to childhood! This blissful cake is a pleasure to serve and eat at any celebration. It’s just like the boxed Funfetti cake, however higher.
Why You’ll Love This Confetti Birthday Cake
- Utterly selfmade and a lot tastier than a field combine
- Loaded with blissful colourful sprinkles
- Topped with candy & creamy basic vanilla buttercream
- Mushy crumb from cake flour
- Fluffy from additional egg whites
- Buttery & cakey from creamed butter & sugar
- Stick-to-your-fork moist (with out tasting greasy!) from eggs, oil, & buttermilk
- Additional taste from pure vanilla extract
This towering rainbow delight has been on my web site for a lot of years, and through that point, I’ve made a pair small updates. This was an excellent confetti birthday cake recipe earlier than; the truth is, it was rated No. 1 (of 9) within the Pancake Princess’ greatest sprinkle cake bake-off, and got here in a detailed 2nd within the Kitchn’s Funfetti cake bake-off. However with 3 small updates, the cake is now even higher.
From the Kitchn’s overview: “This cake was significantly scrumptious. It had a pleasant mild texture however was nonetheless tremendous moist. The vanilla taste was daring with out being overpowering, and the cake was candy with out being cloying. I beloved how simple the frosting was to make and appreciated how easily it went onto the cake. My solely critique is that it’s a must to whip the egg whites in a separate bowl, so it’s a bit tedious, however that’s the one destructive I can consider.”
I’ve some egg-cellent information: that egg-stra step is gone. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)
What’s New on this Birthday Cake Recipe?
- Add the egg whites similtaneously the entire eggs: 4 complete eggs present construction, moisture, and richness. 2 additional egg whites maintain the cake lighter. Although whipping the whites individually does help in stopping a dense cake, in latest testing, I found that eradicating this whipping step could be offset by 2 different adjustments to maintain the batter mild. (Each are subsequent.)
- Decreased butter and added oil: Beforehand, the recipe known as for 1.5 cups of butter (3 sticks, about 345g), however utilizing all creamed butter in a cake can definitely crush the crumb. I really like utilizing oil in cake recipes as a result of it provides moisture and a fragile texture. And I really like utilizing butter in cake recipes due to its unparalleled taste. Discovering the correct proportion of every? Now that’s the candy spot, and I discover it right here by lowering the butter by ¼ cup and including in ⅓ cup oil instead.
- Use cake flour: If you would like a fluffy and mushy bakery-style cake, use cake flour. This has at all times been an choice with the recipe and plenty of readers have used it right here. The cake is GREAT with all-purpose flour, however higher with cake flour. If you happen to don’t have cake flour, persist with sifted all-purpose flour.
After years of testing cake recipes, I’m extra assured than ever on this up to date model. The cake intently resembles my vanilla cake, however makes use of a bit much less sugar as a result of we’re including candy sprinkles.
These Step Photographs Will Assist
Right here is the butter, sugar, and oil combination. You’ll cream butter and sugar collectively first, after which combine within the oil. Combination will probably be creamy and largely clean:
Jimmies sprinkles are greatest for this Funfetti-style selfmade cake. Count on a thick batter:
Divide the batter between 3 9-inch cake pans. You’ll be able to squeeze the cake batter in 3 8-inch cake pans if wanted, however you’ll want to lengthen the bake time. Cool for 20 minutes within the cake pans, after which take away the nice and cozy truffles and place on a wire rack to chill fully.
Sprinkle Success Suggestions
I’ve been baking sprinkle cake & cupcake batters for years and have realized precisely which sprinkles work, and which don’t. Joyful to share my greatest recommendation:
- My prime sprinkle tip: Don’t use nonpareils (the little balls) in cake batter. They’ll bleed their shade as you fold them in, lead to a less-than-appetizing-color cake.
- Rainbow sprinkles (aka “jimmies”) offered within the U.S. are intensely coloured, however sprinkles offered in different nations might lose their shade when baked. “Sugar strands” often is the identical form as jimmies, however they dissolve within the moist batter. For greatest outcomes, attempt to use American-style rainbow sprinkles. The pictured cake makes use of Betty Crocker “Parlor Good” rainbow sprinkles. I additionally actually like Canadian-brand Sweetapolita sprinkles.
- Confetti quins (the little discs) are additionally nice to make use of in a sprinkle birthday truffles & cupcakes. They not often bleed their shade in batter. These shimmery ones maintain their shade properly too.
- Naturally coloured sprinkles are fantastic as ornament, however–relying on the model–can lose their shade in cake batter.
I exploit the identical frosting as my 3 layer vanilla cake, however add somewhat extra vanilla. It’s principally my vanilla buttercream recipe solely scaled as much as yield sufficient for a tall layer cake. If you happen to choose chocolate frosting, use the chocolate fudge frosting from my piñata cake recipe. (It’s sufficient for this dimension cake.)
For a much less candy frosting choice, use this recipe for Swiss meringue buttercream.
Can I tint this frosting? Sure! Be happy so as to add gel meals coloring to the frosting to vary its shade.
Adorning Success Tip: Add a Crumb Coat
Because it’s so moist, the confetti cake generally is a little crumbly while you’re adorning it. I like to recommend making use of a skinny crumb coat, which is a layer of frosting across the exterior of the cake to catch any crumbs. The frosting recipe beneath contains sufficient frosting for that skinny crumb coat, then one other skinny layer of frosting on prime of that. Observe that I utilized a barely thicker crumb coat within the video tutorial beneath. Doesn’t matter both approach; you’ll simply have much less or extra frosting for that last frosting layer.
Use a flat icing spatula to unfold on the frosting. Icing spatulas are helpful in the event you beautify truffles and cupcakes usually. Then you possibly can run a bench scraper across the sides of the cake to clean out the crumb coat in addition to the highest layer of frosting. You’ll be able to watch me use each within the video tutorial beneath.
Chill the crumb-coated cake for half-hour, after which apply the ultimate frosting layer.
On the lookout for a enjoyable sprinkle cake that requires much less effort than a 3-layer cake? Attempt these recipes:
Buttery vanilla layer cake crammed to the brim with rainbow sprinkles and completed off with candy vanilla frosting. Pictured cake is 9 inches—for thicker truffles, use 8-inch pans. Evaluation the recipe notes earlier than starting and ensure all substances are dropped at room temperature earlier than beginning.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease three 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper rounds, then grease the parchment paper. Parchment paper helps the truffles seamlessly launch from the pans. (See #6 on my prime Cake Baking Suggestions.)
- Make the cake: Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively in a big bowl. Put aside.
- Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar collectively on excessive velocity for five full minutes till fluffy and creamed collectively nicely. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl with a rubber spatula as wanted. Add the oil and beat for 1 minute till mixed. Add the eggs, egg whites, and vanilla extract and beat on medium-high velocity till mixed. Scrape down the edges and up the underside of the bowl with a rubber spatula as wanted.
- Add dry substances and buttermilk in three additions and mixing after every addition simply till included. Don’t over-mix this batter. The batter will probably be velvety and thick. Gently fold within the sprinkles. Pour and unfold the batter evenly into every cake pan.
- Bake for round 25-26 minutes or till the truffles are baked by means of. (8-inch truffles might take about 27-28 minutes.) Tent the truffles with foil after about quarter-hour to forestall the edges and prime from over-browning. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clear, it’s accomplished.
- Permit truffles to chill within the pans set on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife across the edges after which take away heat truffles from pans. Place truffles straight on wire racks to chill fully. The truffles should be fully cool earlier than frosting and assembling.
- Make the frosting: In a big bowl utilizing a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk or paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium velocity till creamy, about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat on low velocity for 30 seconds after which change to excessive velocity and beat for two minutes. Add extra confectioners’ sugar if frosting appears too skinny, or extra cream if frosting is just too thick, or an additional pinch of salt if frosting is just too candy.
- Assemble cake + apply crumb coat: First, utilizing a big serrated knife, slice a skinny layer off the tops of the truffles to create a flat floor. Discard (or crumble over ice cream!). Place 1 cake layer in your cake stand or serving plate. Utilizing a giant icing spatula or small offset spatula, evenly cowl the highest with about 1 cup of frosting. Repeat with 2nd cake layer, 1 extra cup of frosting, after which the highest cake layer. Unfold a skinny layer of frosting on the highest and across the sides as a crumb coat. Run a bench scraper across the cake to clean out crumb coat. Chill uncovered within the fridge for not less than half-hour and as much as 3 hours to set the crumb coat.
- Unfold the remaining frosting all around the prime and sides. Garnish with additional sprinkles, if desired.
- Serve cake instantly or if you might want to retailer it for a couple of hours, place it in cake provider at room temperature for as much as 4 hours. For longer storage, refrigerate coated cake for as much as 1 day. Cake is greatest served at room temperature, although, so advocate letting it sit out for half-hour earlier than serving.
- Cowl leftover cake tightly and retailer it within the fridge for five days. Once more, I like utilizing a cake provider for storing and transporting.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: The cake layers could be baked, cooled, and coated tightly at room temperature in a single day. Likewise, the frosting could be ready then coated and refrigerated in a single day. When prepared to brighten, let the frosting sit at room temperature to barely soften for quarter-hour, then give it yet one more combine with the mixer on medium velocity for about 1 minute earlier than frosting cake. (Add a splash of cream to skinny out frosting if wanted.) See step 10 if you wish to retailer the frosted/embellished cake earlier than serving it. Frosted cake or unfrosted cake layers could be frozen as much as 2-3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and convey to room temperature earlier than adorning/serving. See tips on how to freeze truffles for detailed directions.
- 2022 Replace: Recipe above was barely up to date in 2022. Outdated model used to name for 3 sticks (about 345g) butter and no oil. The slight discount of butter and added oil promise a moister cake, however be happy to make use of the outdated model. Additionally, the additional egg whites at the moment are added while you add the entire eggs. You used to must whip them individually till mushy peaks kind after which fold them in earlier than including the sprinkles. This step isn’t actually crucial since we’re utilizing somewhat oil and cake flour now. (See subsequent Observe.)
- Flour: Recipe used to name for sifted all-purpose flour as a substitute of cake flour. Recipe was up to date in 2022 to make use of the SAME quantity of cake flour as a substitute. You need to use both, however know that the cake is barely lighter utilizing cake flour. If you happen to use all-purpose flour, it’s essential to sift it in any other case your cake will probably be heavy. You could possibly additionally use 3 and three/4 cups (443g) of this cake flour substitute, which is sifted all-purpose flour + some cornstarch.
- Eggs: 3 complete eggs present construction, moisture, and richness. 2 additional egg whites maintain the cake mild. I don’t advocate utilizing 4 complete eggs; persist with the three egg & 2 egg white mixture.
- Buttermilk: If you happen to don’t have buttermilk, you may make a DIY bitter milk substitute. Add 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a liquid measuring cup. Then add sufficient complete milk to the identical measuring cup till it reaches 1 and 1/2 cups. (In a pinch, decrease fats or nondairy milks work for this soured milk, however the cake received’t style as moist or wealthy.) Stir it round and let sit for five minutes. The selfmade “buttermilk” will probably be considerably curdled and able to use within the recipe.
- Sprinkles: Keep away from utilizing sprinkles that can dye your batter. Steer clear from nonpareils, that are the little balls. The pictured cake makes use of Betty Crocker “Parlor Good” rainbow sprinkles, which I discover in my common grocery retailer. I additionally like to make use of these rainbow jimmies or pastel coloured quins. Observe that naturally coloured sprinkles can lose their shade in cake batter.
- Chocolate Frosting: Use the frosting from this piñata cake recipe. It makes sufficient for this dimension cake.
- Quantity of Cake Batter & Different Dimension Desserts: This recipe yields practically 8 cups of batter, which is useful in the event you want it for various Cake Pan Sizes & Conversions. For a 1 layer cake, 12×17 inch sheet cake, or 6-inch layer cake, see listing above this recipe. For a 2 layer cake, divide batter between 2 9-inch cake pans as a substitute of three. (That is an excessive amount of batter for two 8-inch pans.) Enhance bake time to about half-hour and use a toothpick to check for doneness. For a Bundt cake, use a 10-12 cup generously greased Bundt pan and bake for about 60 minutes or till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. There’s an excessive amount of batter for a 9×13 inch quarter sheet cake. I’ve 2 recipes on my web site that will work for a 9×13 inch sprinkle cake. You could possibly use this mild and fluffy white cake recipe and fold 1/2 cup (about 90g) sprinkles into the batter earlier than pouring into the pan. See these recipe Notes for a 9×13 inch cake. Or you should utilize this buttery sprinkle sheet cake recipe. See these recipe Notes for a 9×13 inch cake.
- Cupcakes: Use this batter for 3 dozen sprinkle cupcakes. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full to keep away from over-flowing. Or use my confetti sprinkle cupcakes or funfetti cupcakes recipes.
Key phrases: confetti birthday cake
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail sequence is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.