Braided and delightful, our Cinnamon-Pecan Babka is ideal for any time of day. Fragrant cinnamon brings engaging spice whereas buttery chopped pecans and lightweight brown sugar steadiness out the candy warmth.
- 2½ cups (313 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons (4.5 grams) instantaneous yeast*
- ¼ cup (57 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- ¼ cup (60 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water, divided
- ¼ cup (60 grams) complete milk
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 massive eggs (100 grams), room temperature and divided
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) firmly packed gentle brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) floor cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (38 grams) chopped pecans
- Easy Syrup (recipe follows)
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk collectively 1 cup (125 grams) flour, granulated sugar, 1 ½ Teaspoons (4.5 grams) salt, and yeast by hand.
- In a small saucepan, warmth ¼ cup (57 grams) butter, ¼ cup (60 grams) water, milk, and vanilla over medium-low warmth till butter is melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 120º
- (49ºC) to 130ºF (54ºC). Add heat butter combination to flour combination. Utilizing the paddle attachment, beat at medium-low velocity till mixed. Add 1 egg (50 grams), and beat till mixed. With mixer on low velocity, regularly add 1½ cups (188 grams) flour, beating simply till mixed and stopping to scrape sides of bowl.
- Swap to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium-low velocity till a smooth, considerably sticky dough types, 5 to eight minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl and dough hook; add as much as remaining 2 tablespoons (16 grams) flour, 1 tablespoon (8 grams) at a time, if dough is simply too sticky. End up dough onto a really flippantly floured floor, and form right into a easy spherical.
- Calmly oil a big bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease prime. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till doubled in measurement, 30 to 45 minutes.
- End up dough onto a really flippantly ﬂoured floor, and gently press into an 8×6-inch rectangle. Loosely wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for no less than 1 hour or as much as in a single day.
- Spray an 8½x4½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting extra lengthen over sides of pan.
- In a small bowl, combine collectively remaining 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and remaining ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) salt.
- On a flippantly ﬂoured floor, roll dough right into a 13×10-inch rectangle (about ¼ inch thick). Utilizing a small offset spatula, unfold butter combination onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on each brief sides and one lengthy aspect. Sprinkle pecans on prime, and press flippantly along with your arms to ensure all the pieces adheres. Beginning with lengthy aspect reverse border, roll up dough, jelly roll fashion, and pinch seam to seal. Gently carry log at every finish, and stretch to 14 inches lengthy. Place seam aspect down, ensuring seam is off to 1 aspect as an alternative of in heart. Utilizing a pointy serrated knife, reduce in half lengthwise. Flip halves reduce aspect up, and place in an “X.” Twist prime half of “X” twice; pinch ends, and tuck beneath. Repeat with backside half of “X.” Utilizing your arms, place in ready pan, ensuring to maintain reduce sides up and ends tucked. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till puffed, half-hour to 1 hour. (Dough ought to go the ﬁnger dent check; see Notes.)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively remaining 1 egg (50 grams) and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Utilizing a pastry brush, brush egg wash on prime of dough.
- Bake till golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in heart registers 190°F (88°C), 50 to 55 minutes, overlaying with foil midway via baking to stop extra browning. Brush with Easy Syrup. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Utilizing extra parchment as handles, take away from pan, and let cool utterly on a wire rack.
Notice: Last rise time will rely upon how lengthy dough is chilled. The longer the dough is chilled, the longer it can take to rise. When you assume your dough has proofed, conduct the ﬁnger dent check. Gently press your ﬁnger about ½ inch into the floor. It’s best to be capable to watch the dough spring again barely however nonetheless present an indentation. If the dent disappears, the dough is underproofed and wishes extra time. If the indentation stays utterly, it has overproofed, however don’t panic. Instantly pop it into the oven; the babka will nonetheless be nice!