Filled with taste and excellent for making forward, this do-it-yourself candy potato casserole will steal the present at your subsequent vacation meal. Crunchy candy brown sugar pecan crumble covers each chunk of this buttery candy potato mash. After your first forkful, you’ll already be excited about going for seconds!
Facet dishes are, surely, the most effective a part of a basic Thanksgiving meal. We’re speaking creamy from-scratch inexperienced bean casserole, flaky mushy dinner rolls, and flavorful cornbread stuffing.
At the moment’s recipe for do-it-yourself candy potato casserole is a household favourite. Get pleasure from a clean and creamy candy potato mash topped with a crunchy, toasty, praline-esque pecan topping. As a result of it’s somewhat candy, I wish to serve this casserole with a sprinkle of sea salt and a few savory contemporary thyme or rosemary. A beautiful steadiness of texture and taste!
Why You’ll Love This Candy Potato Casserole Recipe
- Creamy + crunchy = fantastic contrasting textures in each chunk
- Buttery candy potato mash with a touch of vanilla
- Cinnamon-spiced brown sugar pecan topping
- Candy + salty—a decadent strategy to get your vitamin A!
- You may conveniently prep it a pair days prematurely
One reader commented: “Lastly I attempted this superb recipe of yours for Thanksgiving and I merely liked it! I like candy potato casseroles however I had by no means tried myself—it’s ridiculously simple to bake and so extremely candy. I’m additionally loopy concerning the crunchy pecan topping, which positively brings the casserole to the following stage. This recipe is a keeper!★★★★★“
10 Components in This Thanksgiving Facet Dish
- Candy Potatoes: You want 2 kilos (908g) for this casserole, which is 3 further giant potatoes or 5 small/medium potatoes. Don’t go overboard on the potatoes as a result of the mash will find yourself tasting heavy and dense.
- Butter: For unparalleled buttery taste.
- Brown Sugar: I want darkish brown sugar on this casserole, however gentle works too. You’ll use some in each the candy potato mash and the pecan crumble topping.
- Eggs: Construction— they flip this right into a casserole, moderately than a pile of mashed candy potatoes.
- Half-and-half: Half-and-half retains this dish further creamy. When you have heavy cream readily available to your different cooking and baking wants (like whipped cream & pumpkin pie), you need to use that as a substitute.
- Vanilla extract: For only a trace of delicate, fragrant taste.
- Salt: Brings out all of the flavors, and balances the sweetness.
- Flour: Offers construction to the crumbly topping.
- Cinnamon: Enhances each the candy potato and pecan flavors.
- Pecans: Buttery, nutty pecans are the jewels within the candy potato casserole crown!
Plus, ending touches like thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt spherical out your entire dish. One reader commented: “The contemporary rosemary and sea salt made it…*chef’s kiss*. ★★★★★”
Boil & Mash the Candy Potatoes
Begin by peeling the candy potatoes with a vegetable peeler. Boil them in a big pot of water till they’re good and tender. Allow them to cool for about quarter-hour, after which mash. You need to use a potato masher and a few arm muscle for this, however I normally simply use my mixer. As soon as they’re as clean as you’d like (be happy to depart some chunks should you want them that approach!), beat within the eggs, brown sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, and salt. These are all of the substances you want for the candy potato layer.
FAQ: Can I Use Yams As an alternative of Candy Potatoes on this Casserole?
For the most effective style and texture, I like to recommend utilizing candy potatoes as a substitute of yams.
The names of those two starchy root greens are sometimes used interchangeably, however they’re truly completely different, and originate from completely different continents. Native to Central and South America, candy potatoes sometimes have orange flesh and a pinkish-brown pores and skin, and are sweeter and creamier in texture when cooked. Native to Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean, true yams have white flesh and a bark-like pores and skin, with a drier, starchier texture—extra like an everyday baking potato.
You would additionally use purple candy potatoes if you will discover them!
Simple Crunchy Pecan Topping
We’re ending this candy potato casserole with a scrumptious crumbly, praline-esque pecan topping. The crunchy texture contrasts so superbly with the creamy, buttery candy potato mash. It comes collectively rapidly and simply, and makes use of among the similar substances because the candy potato layer.
Can I Use Marshmallows on This Candy Potato Casserole?
Sure. If you happen to love marshmallows in your candy potato casserole, you may actually add them. I wouldn’t go away off the pecan topping, although. (You’ll actually miss that texture!) Add the marshmallows in direction of the top of the bake time. See recipe Observe beneath for particulars.
Learn how to Make Candy Potato Casserole Forward of Time
This simple facet dish might be ready forward of time, which everyone knows is a complete lifesaver main as much as Thanksgiving dinner! Right here’s find out how to get began:
- 1–2 days earlier than serving: Boil and mash the candy potatoes, add the remaining substances to the candy potatoes, and clean right into a baking dish. Put together the topping in a separate bowl. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days.
- Day of serving: Spoon the topping over the candy potato layer and bake.
- Freezing directions: If assembled, the unbaked casserole might be frozen as much as 2 months. Take it out of the freezer and thaw in a single day within the fridge. Convey the casserole to room temperature and bake.
Extra Thanksgiving Facet Dish Recipes
Creamy, comforting, and easy candy potato casserole with a crunchy pecan crumble on high. Texture and flavors are spot on!
- Place the candy potatoes in a big pot or dutch oven and cowl them utterly with water. Convey water to a boil. Cut back warmth and simmer for 20 minutes or till the potatoes are tender. Drain the water and permit the candy potatoes to chill for quarter-hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease a 9×13 baking pan (or the same dimension casserole dish, or a 12-inch deep oven-safe skillet). Put aside.
- Place the potatoes in a big mixing bowl. Utilizing a handheld or stand mixer, beat the potatoes till comparatively clean– I like to depart some chunks for texture. In your reference, you’ll have about 4 cups of mashed candy potatoes. Add the butter, brown sugar, crushed, eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, and salt. Spoon/pour the combination into ready pan.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon collectively. Utilizing a rubber spatula, fold within the melted butter and pecans till the combination is completely mixed. Spoon evenly over potatoes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or till golden brown on high. Enable to chill for five minutes, then high with somewhat contemporary thyme or rosemary and a sprinkle of sea salt. Serve heat.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: This can be a nice make forward recipe! Right here’s find out how to get began 1-2 days earlier than– put together potatoes by way of step 3, then put together the topping. Cowl every individually and refrigerate for as much as 2 days. Then, assemble and bake. Assembled, unbaked casserole might be frozen as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, convey to room temperature, and proceed with step 5. Baked casserole might be frozen as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge, convey to room temperature, and bake at 350°F (177°C) till warmed by way of.
- Including Marshmallows: If you happen to love marshmallows on high of your candy potato casserole, you may actually add them. Bake as directed above, however 5 minutes earlier than it’s accomplished, add 1 cup marshmallows on high after which end baking.
Key phrases: candy potato casserole
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e mail sequence is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a number of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.