Say hey to Beetroot Poriyal – a evenly spiced South Indian particular preparation made with beets, coconut, spices and herbs. When you is likely to be consuming beetroot in salads and juices, that is a kind of straightforward methods the place you’ll be able to even cook dinner this tremendous nutritious root vegetable. As apparent, this dry dish has a lovely pink coloration to it as a result of the beetroot completely colours it with its pure hue. The addition of spices and coconut add to the earthiness of this tasty dish.
If you’re within the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, you’ll come throughout the favored meals time period ‘poriyal,’ which might typically imply a type of sautéed or fried dish. Comparable phrases in different languages are ‘mezhukupuratti’ (Malayalam), ‘palya’ (Kannada) and ‘vepudu’ (Telugu).
A kind of facet dish, it usually has a vegetable (shredded or finely chopped) which is cooked with entire spices, curry leaves and black gram (urad dal). Generally onions, dried pink chilies and different spice powders might also be added. It’s normally completed with heap of coconut and coriander (optionally).
Along with this Beetroot Poriyal, different variants embody Carrot Poriyal, Cabbage Poriyal, Beans Poriyal, Uncooked Banana Poriyal and Ivy Gourd Poriyal. Although, the listing doesn’t finish at this.
Extra on Beetroot Poriyal
I usually make this Beetroot Poriyal and different veggie poriyals at residence. This dish is a most popular one as a result of it’s actually easy to make (identical to the Kerala thorans) and is wholesome too. So, each time I’m making a sambar, a vegetable poriyal or thoran is also an possibility by default.
This recipe of Beetroot Poriyal can be a no onion, no garlic one. Different primary components that go on this preparation are mustard seeds, inexperienced chillies, curry leaves, urad dal, asafoetida and a few coconut. Make it gluten-free by not including the asafoetida.
Whether or not you need to chop or grate the beetroot, the selection is yours. The poriyal is tasty each methods. Although, utilizing grated beetroot will all the time reduce the time to cook dinner the vegetable.
I all the time cook dinner the Beetroot Poriyal in coconut oil as that’s what’s the essence of this dish. However you’ll be able to substitute it with sesame oil (gingelly oil) as effectively.
You can also make the poriyal with different veggies like those I’ve talked about within the above part. There is no such thing as a finish to that. Each might be simply as fab as the opposite, this a lot I can guarantee you.
At residence, I had this Beetroot Poriyal with a yummy sambar and steamed foxtail millet combo. For normal instances, this poriyal goes good with a Sambar-rice or Rasam-rice mixture. You possibly can have it with chapati too for a healthful meal.
make Beetroot Poriyal
1. In a pan, warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil or sesame oil (gingelly oil). Preserve the warmth to a low and add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
2. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
3. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add 1 teaspoon urad dal (break up and husked black gram).
4. Stirring usually, fry the urad dal on low warmth.
5. Fry until the urad dal turns golden.
6. Then, add 1 chopped inexperienced chili (about ½ to 1 teaspoon, chopped), 10 to 12 torn or chopped curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Combine effectively.
7. Now, add 2 cups finely chopped beetroot (or 2 medium to giant beetroot or 250 grams finely chopped beetroot). You too can add grated beetroot.
8. Combine very effectively.
9. Add salt as per style and blend once more.
10. Add ⅓ cup water or add as required.
11. Cowl the pan with a lid and let the beetroot cook dinner on low to medium-low warmth.
12. Do verify and stir, in between. If the water dries up, add some water after which proceed to cowl and cook dinner.
13. The beetroot ought to soften and get cooked fully. Earlier than continuing to the subsequent step, guarantee there isn’t a water within the pan.
If the beetroot items are softened and there’s some water, then cook dinner with out the lid, so that every one the water evaporates.
14. Lastly, add 3 to 4 tablespoons grated recent coconut.
15. Combine very effectively. Swap off the warmth and canopy the pan.
16. Serve the Beetroot Poriyal scorching or heat as a facet dish with sambar-rice, rasam-rice and even dal-rice. It can be had with chapatis, plain paratha or bread.
Please remember to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Beetroot Poriyal is a evenly spiced South Indian particular preparation made with beets, coconut, spices and herbs. The addition of spices and coconut add to the earthiness of this tasty dish.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a pan warmth the coconut oil or gingelly oil (til ka tel or sesame oil made out of uncooked sesame seeds). Preserve warmth to a low and add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add urad dal. Stirring usually fry the urad dal until they get golden and fragrant.
Then add chopped inexperienced chillies, curry leaves (chopped or entire) and asafoetida. Combine effectively.
Then add finely chopped or grated beetroot.
Combine very effectively.
Add salt as per style and blend once more.
Add ⅓ cup of water or add as required.
Cowl the pan with a lid and let the beetroot cook dinner on a low to medium-low warmth.
In between do verify and stir. If the water dries up, then you’ll be able to add some water after which proceed to cowl and cook dinner.
- The beetroot ought to soften, change into tender and get cooked fully. Earlier than continuing to the subsequent step guarantee there isn’t a water within the pan. If the beetroot items have softened and there’s some water, then cook dinner with out lid, so that every one the water evaporates.
Lastly add 3 to 4 tablespoons grated recent coconut. Combine very effectively. Swap off the warmth and canopy pan.
Serve the Beetroot Poriyal scorching or heat as a facet dish with sambar-rice or rasam-rice and even dal-rice. It can be had with chapati or paratha.
- Use recent, tender and juicy beets.
- You would skip coconut in the event you don’t have it or add desiccated coconut as a substitute. Notice that with desiccated coconut the style will change barely.
- The recipe will be doubled or tripled.
- This approximate diet information is per serving (made with coconut oil).
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 277 Energy from Fats 198
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 19g119%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Vitamin A 231IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 58mg290%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 110mg133%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 732µg183%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Beetroot Poriyal recipe from the archives first revealed on July 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.