The Basic French Silk Pie is a wealthy, luscious, and unforgettable chocolate dessert. You’ll turn out to be a fan after just one chew. Assured!
I fell head over heels in love with French Silk Pie as a teen. However till I made my very own from scratch, I didn’t understand how really beautiful it really was.
Why You Should Make
- I used to be launched to French silk pie as a reward for behaving on household procuring journeys. It labored!
- When you like chocolate, that is the richest, silkiest chocolate pie you’ll ever style!
- It’s the proper special day dessert. It’s continuously on our vacation desk.
My mother liked to buy. It have to be genetic. A couple of weekends a 12 months, the household would pile in our Plymouth Satellite tv for pc station wagon, with out a radio and even seat belts, and drive the 30+ miles to the large metropolis of Des Moines, Iowa for a bit retail remedy. After stops on the artwork museum, Pier One, and the downtown Younkers division retailer, we had been rewarded with a slice of Baker’s Sq. pie. My choice was all the time French silk!
- Kitchen Staples – Sugar, Actual Vanilla Extract, Eggs, Powdered Sugar
- Unsweetened Chocolate – Use a good model for the most effective taste. I take advantage of Ghirardelli bars.
- Actual Vanilla Extract – Be certain that it’s marked actual vanilla. Don’t use imitation vanilla.
- Butter – Salted butter is okay. Salt is a taste enhancer and the pie gained’t style salty with the quantity of salt in salted butter.
- Heavy Cream – Your whipping cream ought to be no less than 36% butterfat.
- Whip-It – It is a whipped cream stabilizer. It prevents whipped cream from separating and is good to make use of in whipped cream that’s piped on a pie for garnishing. An alternate for stabilizing whipped cream is to sweeten it with powdered sugar. The cornstarch in powdered sugar helps preserve the whipped cream secure.
- Chocolate Curls – Discover my favourite approach for making on this recipe put up.
- 9-inch Pastry Crust – Home made pie crust is greatest, however you’ll be able to all the time use store-bought pie dough or crust. Bake earlier than filling.
Easy methods to Make
Watching the unique Martha Stewart cooking present years in the past, I grew to become completely engaged after I noticed her put together a basic French silk pie. Lastly, a model made with actual butter, sugar, eggs, chocolate, and vanilla. The outcomes had been heavenly!
- Use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment so that you don’t whip an excessive amount of air into the filling.
- Cream butter and sugar for about 2 minutes, until gentle and fluffy.
- With the mixer working, regularly add the melted chocolate and the vanilla.
- Add eggs, one by one, beating at medium pace for five minutes after every addition. It’s definitely worth the wait.
- Scrape the filling right into a baked pie shell. Be certain that to sit back for no less than 4 hours so the filling companies up.
- Earlier than serving, whip the cream. Sweeten with powdered sugar if need. If you wish to pipe some swirls of whipped cream to garnish, you approach wish to add an envelope of Whip-It to the cream. it should stabilize the whipped cream so it doesn’t separate.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings if desired. Slice, serve, and put together for swooning!!!
This decadent chocolate pie has just a few easy components, so it’s crucial that you simply use top-quality components. No margarine, simply pure dairy butter, good high quality chocolate, and the most effective pastry crust you’ll be able to muster.
- PRO-Tip: The eggs should not cooked on this dessert so use warning and don’t serve it to young children, the aged, or anybody who’s immune compromised except you utilize pasteurized eggs.
- Salmonella, a food-borne sickness, is commonly unfold through raw eggs. So it’s greatest to not serve this to anybody in danger.
- Professional-Tip: Use a European butter for those who’d like an actual deal with! The quantity of butterfat is barely greater.
- Professional-Tip: Have your butter at room temperature so it turns into gentle and fluffy when overwhelmed.
- Professional-Tip: Have your eggs at room temperature for simpler incorporation.
- Don’t use cheap sweetened chocolate. Ghirardelli is okay, however generic manufacturers might not give the most effective outcomes.
- When you’re snug making pie crust, a home made crust made with no less than half actual butter is an exceptional base for this French silk pie.
- Hold this pie refrigerated.
- To serve, you could wish to garnish with chocolate curls and piped whipped cream rosettes. I stabilize the cream by including Whip It, so it retains its form.
- Alternatively, you’ll be able to go whipped cream with a slice of pie or unfold whipped cream everywhere in the high of the pie (my go-to technique when serving this pie to my household).
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
A French Silk Pie is a wealthy, silky chocolate pie nestled in a pastry shell or graham cracker crust. It’s typically topped with whipped cream.
The super-rich, clean and silky chocolate filling impressed the identify. That is an American pie, although, not French.
It was an entry within the third annual Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1951.
If not neglected of the fridge for greater than 2 hours, a French Silk Pie will preserve nicely for 3-4 days. If a whipped cream topping used, it’s greatest to stabilize the cream with powdered sugar or Whip-It cream stabilizer so it doesn’t separate.
An alternate is to serve with whipped cream on the facet. A dollop may be added to every slice.
You Could Additionally Like:
- 1 baked 9-inch pastry shell, cooled
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 massive eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- A couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar to sweeten the cream, non-compulsory
- 1 package deal Whip-It to stabilize the cream, non-compulsory
- Chocolate curls or shavings, to garnish if desired
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar for about 2 minutes, until gentle and fluffy.
- With the mixer working, regularly add the melted chocolate and the vanilla.
- Add eggs, one by one, beating at medium pace for five minutes after every addition.
- Pour filling into cooled crust. Cowl with plastic wrap, and chill for no less than 4 hours.
- Earlier than serving, whip one cup of heavy cream, including sugar and vanilla to style. Add an envelope of Whip-It to stabilize the cream if you wish to pipe the whipped cream on high of the pie.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings if desired.
Tailored from Jean Webster through the Martha Stewart web site.
Whole time doesn’t embrace chilling time.
Really helpful Merchandise
As an Amazon Affiliate and member of different affiliate packages, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 387Whole Fats: 23gSaturated Fats: 14gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 8gLdl cholesterol: 118mgSodium: 76mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 6g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com sometimes provides dietary data for recipes contained on this website. This data is offered as a courtesy and is an estimate solely. This data comes from on-line calculators. Though thatskinnychickcanbake.com makes an attempt to offer correct dietary data, these figures are solely estimates.
Various elements akin to product sorts or manufacturers bought can change the dietary data in any given recipe. Additionally, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com advocate toppings, which can or will not be listed as non-compulsory and dietary data for these added toppings isn’t listed. Different elements might change the dietary data akin to when the salt quantity is listed “to style,” it’s not calculated into the recipe as the quantity will differ. Additionally, completely different on-line calculators can present completely different outcomes.
To acquire essentially the most correct illustration of the dietary data in any given recipe, it’s best to calculate the dietary data with the precise components utilized in your recipe. You might be solely answerable for making certain that any dietary data obtained is correct.