These wholesome, gluten-free flatbreads generally known as Bajra Roti (or Bajre ki Roti or Bajra Bhakri) are a scrumptious pairing for any Indian lentil or vegetable-based curry. My recipe may be very straightforward to make, requiring simply 20 minutes of prep time. Attempt making these tasty, hearty roti right now!
About Bajra Roti
Bajra roti (also called bajra bhakri) is a gluten-free flatbread made with pearl millet flour. Bajra is the Hindi phrase for pearl millet. These gluten-free flatbreads are a wonderful nutritious choice for anybody with a gluten sensitivity, and for everybody else, too!
There are lots of forms of grains to select from when making Roti, so I do my finest to strive all of them. Some days I make multigrain flour rotis by mixing collectively completely different flours, different instances I persist with only a single grain like for these bajra roti or my Jowar Roti (sorghum flour flatbread).
You must also know that pearl millet (bajra) isn’t the one type of millet flour round. I additionally wish to make Ragi Roti (from finger millet flour). Millets are wholesome grains, so it is best to attempt to embrace them in your weight-reduction plan.
These tasty bajre ki roti are a pleasant option to introduce millet into your weight-reduction plan. Not solely are they hearty, tasty, and simple to make, they’re additionally fairly wholesome! The truth is, bajra roti has been related to improved intestine well being, weight reduction, and stabilized blood sugar.
This easy bajre ki roti recipe requires simply 4 elements, that means a tasty, gluten-free flatbread is rarely removed from attain. All you want is pearl millet flour, a neutral-flavored oil, salt, and water, plus just a little below an hour to make them. Simple, proper? So let’s get began.
The right way to Make Bajra Roti
1: First, warmth 1 cup of water. The water ought to be scorching however not boiling. Change off the warmth, then add 1 teaspoon oil and salt as wanted. Combine properly.
2: Add 2 to 2.5 cups of bajra flour to the water (or vice versa).
3: Combine with a spoon if the water is just too scorching. When you use heat water, then you need to use your fingers for mixing.
4: Collect the blended dough and knead to a gentle, easy dough when the warmth is okay sufficient to deal with.
Tip 1: If the dough appears dry and crumbly, add some scorching or heat water. Combine and knead.
Tip 2: If the dough appears too moist or moist or has change into sticky, add some bajra flour. Combine and proceed to knead.
5: Pinch a small or medium-sized ball, flatten it barely along with your palms, and mud it with evenly with some bajra flour from each side.
6: This isn’t my forte, so I wish to fold a ziplock bag, place the dough ball between the halves, and gently roll it out with a rolling pin or by utilizing my fingers to press it outwards.
Mud evenly with flour as wanted to maintain the dough from sticking.
7: Gently take away the flat raw bread from the ziplock bag and place it on a scorching tawa or flat pan or skillet. Preserve the warmth from medium-high to excessive.
8: Cook dinner the primary aspect till you see a couple of blisters. Flip and prepare dinner the opposite aspect. Flip a few instances and prepare dinner until brown spots and blisters seem on each side.
Unfold some oil or ghee on high should you like. Cook dinner all rotis this manner. Stack them in a roti basket or casserole, in order that they keep heat.
9: Serve Bajra roti scorching or heat with an Indian vegetable curry, dal or aspect veggie dish. Take pleasure in!
Making bajra bhakri isn’t essentially tough, but it surely does take a little bit of apply and finesse. Listed here are a few of my finest suggestions for guaranteeing your roti come out completely each single time:
- You’ll want to use scorching water. The dough turns into extra pliable and simpler to roll should you use scorching water. The rotis may also have a softer texture should you do. Be aware that the water needn’t be boiling scorching – simply scorching sufficient like that whereas having a shower or doing the dishes.
- Variation: When you discover making these flatbreads too cumbersome, add some entire wheat flour (atta). Together with entire wheat flour within the dough will make it simpler so that you can roll the roti.
- Don’t use solely a rolling pin. As a result of these rotis are gluten-free, the dough is somewhat delicate. Reasonably than making an attempt to roll out the dough as you’d for wheat roti, I counsel utilizing a ziplock bag as a non-stick floor on both aspect of the dough balls and utilizing your fingers to press the dough right into a circle or gently rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- Use an oil with a excessive smoke level. Ghee, vegetable oil, avocado oil, sunflower oil or peanut oil will all work. Oils with a decrease smoke level like olive oil ought to be averted.
- Serve the bajra roti heat alongside a vegetable curry, dal, or perhaps a aspect dish. I served the Bajra roti with Bharli Vangi (stuffed aubergines in peanut-coconut-sesame gravy) this time round, and the combo was actually good.
You certain can! If the dough turns into moist within the fridge, merely add a tablespoon or two of bajra flour; whether it is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. You’ll want to use inside 24 hours for finest outcomes.
I’d counsel across the temperature that you just’d need for having a shower. Sizzling, however not scalding!
Utilizing a rolling pin isn’t suggested for making bajra roti as a result of the dough may be very delicate. With out the addition of wheat flour (atta), no gluten is created. Whereas that’s excellent news for celiacs, it isn’t nice for these of you who’re used to utilizing a rolling pin.
To simplify the method, I counsel utilizing a ziplock bag, two sheets of parchment, and even a big muslin fabric to surround the dough, then use your fingers to press it out right into a spherical flatbread form.
If you’re nonetheless having issue, strive including a little bit of potato flour/potato starch or entire wheat flour (atta) to the dough to assist make it a bit extra pliable.
Please you’ll want to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Signal Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Fb, Pinterest or Twitter.
Bajra Roti | Bajre ki Roti (Pearl Millet Flatbread)
Bajra Roti also called Bajre ki Roti or Bajra Bhakri are gluten-free flatbreads comprised of pearl millet flour (a.okay.a bajra flour). These wholesome flatbreads pair deliciously with any Indian lentil or vegetable-based curry.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth or heat the water. Add salt and oil. Stir to combine.
Add the bajra flour. Stir with a spoon first. When the warmth is okay to deal with, knead right into a easy and gentle dough.
If the dough turns into sticky, then add extra flour.
If the dough is crumbly or dry, then add some water.
Making bajra roti
In the meantime warmth a tawa or a flat fry pan or skillet.
Make small to medium sized balls from the dough. Take one dough ball and flatten it barely along with your palms.
Mud evenly with flour on each side. Use parchment sheets or ziplock bag for rolling.
Place the dough ball between two parchment sheets or inside a ziplock bag.
With a rolling pin, roll gently to a flat spherical form.
Take away gently from the ziplock bag and place the rolled roti on the new tawa or skillet.
Cook dinner until each side have brown spots and executed on a medium-high to excessive warmth.
- When one aspect is partly cooked, flip and prepare dinner the second aspect. Flip a couple of instances for even roasting of the roti. It’s best to see brown spots or blisters on each side. Take care to not burn the roti.
When roasted properly sufficient, take away and unfold a little bit of oil or ghee on one aspect.
Make bajre ki roti this manner in batches and stack them up in a roti basket.
You can even choose to pan fry the bajra roti like paratha with oil or ghee instantly within the tawa/frying pan.
Serve Bajre ki Roti scorching or heat with a vegetable aspect dish or curry.
- Knead dough in scorching water: Attempt to knead the dough in scorching water. The dough turns into pliable and simple to roll when utilizing scorching water and the rotis have a gentle texture too. You can even choose to knead the dough in heat water. Be aware that the water needn’t be boiling scorching – however simply scorching sufficient like that when rinsing the dishes.
- Rolling Ideas: Bajre ki roti is gluten-free, thus the dough is delicate. The dough might be patted with fingers in case you have the apply of it. Or roll utilizing a ziplock bag or parchment paper on both aspect of the dough ball, utilizing your fingers to press the dough right into a circle or gently rolling it out with a rolling pin.
- Fat: You might omit the fat should you favor. If you wish to use them, then use an oil with a excessive smoke level. Ghee, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil, or peanut oil will all work. Oils with a decrease smoke level ought to be averted.
Bajra Roti | Bajre ki Roti (Pearl Millet Flatbread)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 249 Energy from Fats 63
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Okay 0.2µg0%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 27µg7%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Bajre ki Roti recipe from the archives first revealed in March 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.