Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes are a straightforward, spectacular Thanksgiving or Christmas facet dish that we make yearly. Thinly sliced potatoes are tossed in a wealthy and velvety cheese sauce and baked till bubbly and golden. Each chew is scrumptious!
This publish could include affiliate hyperlinks. Learn my disclosure coverage.
If you happen to love Scalloped Potatoes, you’re going to like this leveled-up recipe for the creamiest Au Gratin Potatoes made with plenty of melted cheese.
Au Gratin Potatoes Video
Watch Natasha make these creamy and tacky au gratin potatoes. These potatoes are so luxurious, but really easy to make! Right here’s why you’ll love them, too:
- Gruyere Cheese – Gruyere cheese brings refined taste to this super-simple potato recipe. If you happen to’ve by no means tried Gruyere earlier than, you’re in for a deal with.
- Simple Method – Tossing thinly sliced potatoes with the cream sauce earlier than including them to the casserole dish permits every potato to be coated with sauce, for the tastiest gratin potatoes.
- Excellent for the Holidays – Tacky potatoes au gratin are nice to make forward for a scrumptious Thanksgiving or Christmas facet dish.
Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
This Au Gratin Potatoes recipe is a showstopping potato facet dish that we make yearly for the festive season. Identical to our Creamy Mashed Potatoes, this potato casserole is totally holiday-worthy, however easy to organize, particularly with our fast technique for thinly slicing the potatoes (extra on this later).
Serve up this scrumptious Potato Gratin on your subsequent vacation dinner. We assure that everybody will likely be impressed.
What’s the Distinction Between Scalloped and Gratin Potatoes?
The 2 are very comparable and sometimes used interchangeably, however technically scalloped potatoes are produced from sliced potatoes baked in a easy combination of milk and heavy cream. In the meantime, “au gratin” (additionally known as Gratin Dauphinois) is a French cooking approach that entails baking the potatoes in cream together with decadent layers of grated cheese.
The key to creating the proper au gratin potatoes is on this recipe’s easy but flavorful elements. Under is an summary of what you’ll want, with the complete particulars accessible within the recipe card.
- Butter and Flour – You’ll whisk collectively melted butter and flour to kind a roux, which is the bottom for the cream sauce. I choose to prepare dinner with unsalted butter, because it offers me extra management over the saltiness of the recipe.
- Milk and Heavy Whipping Cream – Utilizing milk and heavy cream makes the tacky sauce wealthy and creamy with out changing into too heavy.
- Seasoning – We season the cream sauce with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Gruyere Cheese – Freshly grated is finest. If you happen to don’t have Gruyere, use grated cheddar cheese as an alternative.
- Potatoes – We love utilizing Yukon gold potatoes for this au gratin recipe, however different starchy potatoes, like russets, can even work. You may peel the potatoes, or depart them unpeeled, it’s as much as you.
Professional Tip: We discovered that Costco had the perfect pricing on Gruyere, however it’s accessible within the cheese part of most grocery shops. I’ll purchase Gruyere by the block after which shred it with the massive holes of my field grater.
Learn how to Thinly Slice Potatoes
Under are our tried-and-true strategies to attain excellent, thinly sliced potatoes for this recipe:
- Knife – We love our santoku for slicing potatoes. It has helpful grooves that maintain the potatoes from sticking to the knife.
- Meals Processor – The meals processor is our favourite technique for thinly sliced potatoes. It’s undoubtedly the quickest and most effective. We use Stage 1 on our Cuisinart mannequin which has an adjustable blade.
- Mandolin Slicer – We advocate utilizing the meals holder that comes with a mandolin, in addition to a security glove to guard your fingers as these blades may be sharp! Start by slicing off one finish of the potato to create a flat floor for the holder to seize onto, and ensure to comply with the producer’s directions when slicing.
Learn how to Make the Finest Potato Gratin
Right here’s how straightforward it’s to make creamy Au Gratin Potatoes (or Gratin Dauphinois):
- Make the Cheese Sauce – Whisk butter and flour in a big pot or dutch oven till golden. Whisk within the milk and cream, then season to style and proceed to stir till the sauce has thickened. As soon as the pot is off the warmth, stir in about half of the shredded Gruyere.
- Slice the Potatoes – Slice your peeled or unpeeled potatoes into rounds about ⅛” thick (see above).
- Mix – Toss the potato slices in cheese sauce till effectively coated, then switch the potatoes to a buttered casserole dish. Cowl every little thing in a beneficiant layer of the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake – Cowl the potatoes with foil and bake at 350ºF for 1 hour then uncovered for 15-Half-hour till tender.
Professional Tip: For much more browning on prime of your au gratin potatoes, set the oven to broil for the ultimate minute or two. Make sure that to maintain a detailed eye, as you don’t need them to burn.
Gruyere (pronounced “groo-yehr”) is a tough Swiss Alpine cheese produced from cow’s milk. It’s easy and nice for melting.
Medium or sharp cheddar cheese will work effectively right here. It’s also possible to substitute with white cheddar or a mix of mozzarella and parmesan.
We discovered including floor onion powder makes the cooking simpler and imparts the correct amount of onion taste. Nevertheless, you’ll be able to add sautéed onions if you happen to’d choose.
Sure, you’ll be able to saute freshly minced garlic within the butter for 30-60 seconds earlier than including the flour.
The heavy cream may be substituted with half-and-half or much more milk if you happen to’d choose a lighter sauce.
What to Serve with Potato Gratin?
We like to serve these au gratin potatoes with a sprinkle of contemporary chives, as a satisfying Thanksgiving or Christmas facet dish or with household meals all through the colder months. Listed below are some concepts to construct your menu:
This cheese-filled potato bake is ideal to make forward, and simple to retailer for scrumptious leftovers.
- To Refrigerate: As soon as the baked casserole has cooled, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 4-5 days.
- Freezing: Baked and cooled gratin potatoes may be wrapped tightly and frozen for as much as 2 months. Thaw the potatoes within the fridge earlier than reheating.
- To Reheat: Reheat baked au gratin potatoes within the oven lined in foil, at 350ºF for about 20 minutes or so, till sizzling all through.
Hearty selfmade Au Gratin Potatoes are the perfect consolation meals. We’re positive that you just’re going to like making these this vacation season, and all winter lengthy!
Extra Potato Recipes
If you happen to love this au gratin recipe, under are extra must-have potato recipes.
Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Whole Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Simple Au Gratin Potatoes, or Gratin Dauphinois, is a comforting facet dish made with thinly sliced potatoes tossed in a wealthy and velvety cheese sauce, then baked till golden. Each chew is scrumptious!
Price to Make:
au gratin potatoes, potato gratin, potato recipes
Dinner, Facet Dish
Servings: 12 servings
Preheat oven to 350 ̊F. Use 1 Tbsp butter to grease a 3 quart (9×13) casserole dish.
In a big pot or dutch oven over medium warmth, soften 4 Tbsp butter. Add flour whisk for two minutes to prepare dinner off the flour style. Progressively pour within the milk then the cream whereas whisking. Add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder then proceed whisking till sauce has thickened. Add extra seasonings to style. Take away from warmth and stir in half of the shredded cheese till melted.
Peel potatoes if desired and thinly slice to 1/8” thick (a meals processor makes this fast and simple). Add potatoes to the cheese sauce and stir to coat then unfold the potatoes evenly within the ready baking dish and prime with the remaining grated cheese.
Cowl with aluminum foil and bake for 60 minutes. Take away foil and bake one other 15-Half-hour or till prime is golden brown and potatoes are tender and may be simply pierced with a fork. You may broil for 1-2 minutes on the finish if extra browning is desired however control it so it doesn’t burn. Relaxation for quarter-hour earlier than serving. Garnish with chives and freshly cracked black pepper if desired.
Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 144
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 10g63%
Trans Fats 0.2g
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 50mg17%
Vitamin A 599IU12%
Vitamin C 22mg27%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.