“An Apple Tarte Tatin is a French traditional and couldn’t be easier to make. We choose to make use of do-it-yourself pâte feuilletée (or puff pastry), nevertheless it seems simply as beautiful with a high-quality, all butter store-bought model akin to Dufour. It’s essential to make use of crisp apples that maintain their form and we’re significantly keen on the Pink Woman selection for this recipe. The Calvados is optionally available, and we discover it to be a pleasant, festive addition.”
Apple Tarte Tatin
- ½ recipe (1 sheet) Pâte Feuilletée, do-it-yourself or high-quality industrial model*
- 2 kilos (6 or 7) Pink Woman apples, peeled, quartered, and cored
- 1 tablespoon Calvados, optionally available
- ½ cup (100 g) vanilla sugar
- A pinch of fleur de sel
- Unbleached, all-purpose flour for dusting
- 5 tablespoons (80 g) unsalted butter, reduce into small items
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Take away the pâte feuilletée from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter. In a big bowl, drizzle the Calvados, if utilizing, over the apples, and sprinkle them with 2 tablespoons of the vanilla sugar together with the salt. Put aside. As soon as the pâte feuilletée is workable, calmly mud a piece floor with flour and use a rolling pin to roll the dough right into a 1⁄4-inch- (6-mm-) thick rectangle. On one finish of the rectangle, reduce a circle that’s barely bigger in diameter than the pan you intend to prepare dinner the tarte tatin in.
- Warmth a cast-iron skillet or a copper tarte tatin pan over medium-high warmth. Add the butter. As soon as the butter is melted and foaming, sprinkle the remaining vanilla sugar across the pan. Prepare dinner, stirring always with a picket spoon, till the sugar has dissolved and the combination turns a golden caramel colour however doesn’t get too darkish, 2 to three minutes. Take into accout the caramel will proceed to prepare dinner as soon as faraway from the warmth.
- Off the warmth, fastidiously organize the apples across the fringe of the pan, forming a decent, compact circle. Repeat to create an inside circle. Relying on the scale of the apples, 1 / 4 piece will be positioned within the middle to make sure that the pan is totally lined with apples.
- Rigorously organize the pâte feuilletée on high of the apples, gently tucking the sting in between the fruit and the edges of the pan. Bake till the pastry is golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Take away from the oven and let the tart cool barely to permit the caramel to thicken earlier than serving.
- When able to serve, place a plate on high of the pan and punctiliously flip each over, so the pastry finally ends up on the underside. Go away the pan on high for a couple of minutes to permit the fruit to naturally launch itself from the pan. Serve instantly.