Right here’s the final of the one serve recipes you didn’t know you wanted. To this point we’ve made a single cinnamon roll, two large chocolate chip cookies, and two lemon poppy seed muffins. Final weekend whereas visiting my mother and father in Los Angeles my very personal mom mentioned, “I don’t get these single recipes,” and truthful sufficient mother – truthful sufficient. She’s a double-batch, store-in-the-freezer mom and I respect it. BUT there’s one thing moderately luxurious about taking the time to make one thing singular and particular only for your self. This can be a little little bit of self care and at present’s little bit of care takes the type of one single berry crostata.
As at all times, you may double this recipe for you and your babe or you may make this complete dang pie and dwell your best possible life.
Listed here are the substances you’ll must make this single serve Berry Crostata:
• all-purpose flour
• chilly unsalted butter, minimize into small cubes
• granulated sugar
• kosher salt
• chilly buttermilk (or ice water in a pinch)
• a spritz of lemon juice (and lemon zest for further credit score)
• blueberries and raspberries or any fruit you like. Peach and blackberry is one other good mixture!
• turbinado sugar (however solely when you have it within the pantry, a sprinkle of granulated sugar will work simply as nicely)
We’ve made pie crust a great deal of occasions through the years, but when that is your first rodeo, right here’s the right way to make pie crust by hand.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively flour, sugar, and salt. Use a pastry blender or your fingers to work chilly butter into the dry substances making a crumbly dough with butter chunks the scale of small peas and oat flakes.
Make a nicely within the middle of the buttery combination and add just a few tablespoons of buttermilk. (And for those who don’t have buttermilk, I get it – listed here are just a few simple methods to make fast buttermilk substitutes or you may add 2 tablespoons of ice water rather than dairy.)
Mix the little pie dough ball right into a shaggy however moist and cohesive disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and retailer within the fridge for 20 minutes or so. I often go away pie crust to relaxation within the fridge for an hour however I really feel like a single-serve recipe can be about urgency so we’re speeding the method alongside a bit.
Whereas the crust has its little chill second, whip up the berry combination. In a small bowl toss collectively fruit, sugar, cornstarch, and a little bit squeeze of lemon. The cornstarch and sugar will all dissolve within the oven so don’t fear in the event that they don’t utterly dissolve.
Roll chilled crust on a frivolously floured floor to a thick 1/4-inch spherical. Place the little dough spherical on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and spoon the fruit into the middle of the dough spherical.
Fold the dough edges up and across the fruit, creating a pleasant little pocket full of fruit. As an alternative of egg wash we’ll brush the surface of the crust with buttermilk or any dairy you’ve gotten readily available. There’s no must crack a complete egg for this little crostata child.
Sprinkle with sugar and bake within the higher third of the oven till golden brown and effervescent. The cornstarch will thicken the berry juice because it bubbles so ensure the juices come to a bubble earlier than eradicating the pastry from the oven.
High the nice and cozy tart with vanilla ice cream or frivolously whipped cream. Please please please get pleasure from this berry crostata whereas it’s nonetheless heat (simply after it stopped effervescent for me), and sitting down at your kitchen counter (although I’ve the worst behavior of consuming standing over the sink). This can be a excellent little second.
Completely happy Micro-Batch Baking from me to you.
Now, for those who’re within the temper for extra (bigger) summer time pie concepts:
- Place a rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 levels F. Line a small baking pan with parchment paper and put aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively flour, sugar, and salt. Add the chilly butter and use your fingers to interrupt the butter up into smaller bits, the scale of small peas and oat flakes. Create a nicely within the middle of the dry substances and add buttermilk. Use a fork to carry all of it collectively right into a shaggy dough.
- Flip the shaggy dough out onto the counter and convey collectively right into a small disk. Add a splash extra buttermilk if the dough feels dry. Wrap in a chunk of plastic wrap or waxed paper and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl toss collectively berries, sugar, cornstarch, salt and a little bit squeeze of lemon.
- Calmly flour the counter and roll the crust right into a 6 or 8-inch circle simply thicker than 1/4-inch. Spoon fruit onto the crust and fold the crust up over the fruit. Brush the perimeters with buttermilk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Use a big spatula or bench scraper to switch the crostata to the ready baking pan. Bake for 22-24 minutes till golden and effervescent. Serve heat with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.